Question about initial configuration

Sorry for the very late reaction. I wasn’t online the last three weeks ( yes this is possible :wink: ).

I think the main problem in this thread isn’t the association if IPs etc. It is the network topology ( including the right connections ). The wiki articles cited give a good introduction to this topic.
In short the philosophy of IPFire ( and many other firewall routers ) is

• interface RED — WAN, the whole internet
  • interface GREEN — LAN on ethernet, the place for local devices
  • interface BLUE — LAN in wifi, place for wireless local devices
  • interface ORANGE – DMZ, area for local servers accessible from the WAN.

These are the physical networks connected through IPFire only.
IP addresses define logical networks. These networks must be separated according to the physical topology. The connection between is done by the routing function of IPFire.

Hope this makes some things clearer.

Regards,
Bernhard

1 Like

Thanks for the reply,

The more I delve into this topic the clearer it becomes.

Greetings

1 Like

Hello professionals,

I have another question about a variant.

In the two examples I drew above, a telephone system would have to be used in the business network.
Does it make sense to integrate it into the Ipfire or not allow it to run over the Ipfire at all? ?

Do you have a suggestion?

greeting

Keep it on a separate device.
My 2 cents.

what do you mean by other device?

without ipfire directly to the Fritzbox?

greetings

Not run on the firewall.

Okay, I have a solution for the telephone system.

But I would have to send a fax via the Fritzbox (in the business network), which is attached to the red interface. The Fritzbox has an integrated fax printer.
Is something like that possible?

greeting

Can you access things (like internet) on RED interface? :smiley:

Hello, thanks for the answer.

So I only set it up briefly, but I was able to access the Internet via the red interface. The red interface goes to the Fritzbox, which also provides the fax printer.

Hello dear IPFire users,

First of all, Merry Christmas and happy days.

I have now created the business network as follows:

All workstations are on the 192.168.2.2-50 network
Blue interface 192.168.2.1
Green Interface 192.168.1.1 not plugged in - only for konfg/admin
Red interface 192.168.0.200, gateway (Fritzbox) 192.168.0.2
Netmask everywhere 255.255.255.0

Then I have a computer (in this Network) from the network with which I configure the Ipfire. I added this computer to the blue devices with the MAC and IP address. Works well so far.

Problem/Question 1:
One device is an internet radio. If I allow this device to connect via the red interface via a firewall rule, it works. But if I deactivate this rule again, the connection remains.

Problem/Question 2:
Even if I set the connection to red on the main computer via a firewall rule, I can surf the Internet. If I deactivate this rule I can no longer surf, it works. But even here, if the connection is established and I ping a website, the ping remains even if I deactivate the rule again.

The workstations and the Internet radio device have 192.168.2.1 in the gateway. I also have 192.168.2.1 in the DNS for these devices.

What have I done wrong here?

That is correct.
If a connection is made. It will not disconnect.
Until it is done with that connection.
De activating the firewall rule will not break an established connection.

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick Christmas message.

Then I’m reassured that I didn’t make a mistake.

The Raspberry is sufficient for this small business network :slight_smile:

Have a nice holiday to you

So now the most important and probably most difficult connection.

In the following picture (the business network is there, the private one comes later) both networks are connected to a Fritzbox. But I would actually have to synchronize the two HP servers with each other.
How do I have to create a connection? It probably has to be a VPN, right?

Structurally, I cannot move the servers. The two Ipfire devices are right next to each other.

Is that even possible or would it be better to have 2 Fritz boxes?
could I also connect the 2 green interfaces with each other?

Is not the fastest thing to achieve, but I’d go with IPsec VPN between IPfire, from 192.168.2.0/24 to 192.168.3.0/24.

Also, assuming that the same fritzbox is used for both connections, I’d ensure the fastest connection possible between the two IPfire installations, like 2.5gb Ethernet with a separate switch to avoid speed issues on the fritzbox router.

1 Like

Hey Pike,

thanks for the quick reply.

Who should I put the connection to?
Both Ipfire devices (red interface) should be plugged into a switch. The switch is then connected to the Fritzbox?

And then establish the connection via the Ipfire devices without VPN then???

Greetings

I’m not sure what you mean

That’s my idea.

Actually IPSec is a VPN, in my design only via the RED interfaces of your IPFire boxes.

Pros:

• automatically install routes needed between the two networ segments
  • can also be narrowed for allow communication between your servers only via firewall rules
  • connection is encrypted from IPFire to IPFire and not encrypted between any server and the releative firewall
  • any other device connected to Fritzbox is totally unaware of traffic
  • if used the switch between two IPFire RED NICs: no load on the Fritzbox switch
    unrelated to internet traffic

Cons:

• more CPU consuption on both IPFire for IPsec VPN (with AES-NI function on the CPU should be not that an hassle
  • the switch between IPFire RED interfaces and Fritzbox is another possible point of failure and worth of UPS.
1 Like

Okay, thanks for the information

I understand it so far and will try it out. However, that will still take some time.

Can the VPN be switched on or off over time or does it have to be done manually?

Greetings

I really cannot answer that, I’m not deep enough in that part of IPSec VPN.
This topic could help you better

However… without traffic, the connection do not bother that much for traffic and/or CPU overhead. Tunnel could be built 24/7. And with firewall rules, only the two servers could be aware of each other.

Also…
In IPsec usually there are an initiatior and a responder. If you’re looking for have better security of work side, I’d configure the initiator on the home side.

IPSec-VPN can be switched off with the connection scheduler but the way it is indicated / shown is a bit misleading.

The VPN-Server itself needs to be activated all the time, so in the WUI under “Services → IPSec” it always has to be “activated” (otherwise there is no possibility to start it via the connection scheduler).

As soon as it’s running, you can turn it off (and on again) via the scheduler. Thing is, that this is only indicated in the “Status->Services”-menu (there “VPN” will switch from “RUNNING” to “STOPPED” and vice versa) but NOT in the “Services->IPSec”-menu (there it will always be shown as “Activated”).

I tried it mulitple times, it works pretty good.

Greetings

1 Like

Happy New Year 204 to all of you here :slight_smile:

Thanks for the message for the VPN. I now have two IPfire machines running and it works very well with all of them. Web proxy, URL filter, firewall rules etc etc.

Now I have to tackle the VPN issue. Are there any easy-to-understand instructions?