PPP sim modem module

Dear all,

I’m new to Ipfire and I’m trying to figure out how to set up a sim modem. In the installation manual there is a screenshot of a PPP page which I can’t find anywhere nor I can see it in the pakfire list online.
I have problem to put the box online without the USB dongle.

Is this PPP module to be downloaded? can i move like with scp to the box and install it manually? is there a way to set it up over terminal?

I’m trying to use IPFIRE on APU2C4. Thanks

This page will only displayed if the red nic is configured to PPP DIALUP in the setup.

wiki.ipfire.org - Step 5: Network Setup search for ‘The “Red” interface’

1 Like

Ciao @arne_f ,

thanks for your quick reply. I did the installation few times and I don’t think the system recognize the modem during start up. If this is the case, should I regardless set it as PPP and then after installation is complete sort the USB dongle settings?

Changing slightly subject, can I change the RED settings from DHCP to PPP after installation or I need to reinstall everything correctly the first time?

cheers

Below is another page of IPFire Wiki

such modems will not detected as nic at all but the address config must correct set to enable the dialup menu.

You can change this setting if you login as root and run setup.

Thanks you all for such quick reaction

I’m making progress but still not there yet.

To find more info I changed LOG for RED to high
Now I have RED set as PPP and during setup no device assigned.
Under Network - Zone Configuration, RED is shown as PPPoE for some reason
Then found the Modem set up under System - Dialup. I tried set up as Modem or Serial, interface ‘/dev/TTYUSB0’. In the LOG, RED it shows “unrecognized option /dev/ttyUSB0”

with the console I tried lsusb and I found only one entry for huawei E353/E3131 (Mass Storage mode) and nothing else.

Further hints?

I’m starting to check the web about huawei E353/E3131

After I removed and plugged in again the USB dongle now the lsusb find a huawei E3372 LTE/UMTS/GSM, dongle light is steady but still no connection showing. the LOG is showing:

pppd 2.4.8 started
report (CONNECT)
abort on (\nBUSY\r)
abort on (\n NO ANSWER\r)
abort on (\nNO CARRIER\r)

so there are sign something is proceeding but still hang on no connection

cheers

To use E3372 with IPFire I had to switch the USB modem to non hilink mode, but that was several years ago.

Below are sample instructions:

https://www.0xf8.org/2017/01/flashing-a-huawei-e3372h-4g-lte-stick-from-hilink-to-stick-mode/
https://vutlan.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DEN/pages/19955732/USB+4G+3G+modems+setting

edit
If I remember correctly, additionally you have to disable CDROM and SD, (edit) and set to NCM mode, with AT commands.

1 Like

hi @tphz and @arne_f ,

thanks a lot for your support. Unfortunately the USB dongle is not mine and I prefer not to mess around with it too much.

I’ve a second USB dongle I can try to use it. This one is definetively older than the one tried untill now. This also has CD feature

I’ll give it a go and revert.
If you suggest to change title to this thread with something about E3131 considering the amount of work and research you have done I’m ok with it and I’ll continue with a different topic

thanks a lot, much appreciated

1 Like

The below thread may also be helpful:

edit

Below settings my modems:

edit
Below available options in E3372h (converted to non hilink)

AT^SETPORT=?

^SETPORT:3: 3G DIAG
^SETPORT:10: 4G MODEM
^SETPORT:1: 3G MODEM
^SETPORT:12: 4G PCUI
^SETPORT:13: 4G DIAG
^SETPORT:5: 3G GPS
^SETPORT:14: 4G GPS
^SETPORT:A: BLUE TOOTH
^SETPORT:16: NCM
^SETPORT:A1: CDROM
^SETPORT:A2: SD

my settings :

AT^SETPORT?

^SETPORT:FF;10,16,12

command which sets

AT^SETPORT="FF;10,16,12"

edit
Below available options in E3131s-2

AT^SETPORT=?
^SETPORT:A1: CDROM
^SETPORT:A2: SD
^SETPORT:A: BLUE TOOTH
^SETPORT:B: FINGER PRINT
^SETPORT:D: MMS
^SETPORT:E: PC VOICE
^SETPORT:1: MODEM
^SETPORT:2: PCUI
^SETPORT:3: DIAG
^SETPORT:4: PCSC
^SETPORT:5: GPS
^SETPORT:6: GPS CONTROL
^SETPORT:16: NCM

my settings:

AT^SETPORT?

^SETPORT:A1,A2;1,16,3,2

edit
Note: Devices from other manufacturer may have different commands.

Tonight, I made a quick test.
I found my E3372h modem converted to hilink.
I put a sim card in the E3372h modem, then I connected it to the test IPFire.
Next, I ran the setup on IPFire.
Go to “Networking” → “Drivers and card assignments”
and I assigned the Huawei modem to RED interface

Then go to “Address settings” → “RED”
and set DHCP

I approved the changes and rebooted IPFire.
After the reboot, I have checked that IPFire has acquired an IP address on the RED interface

From the computer in GREEN network, I connected to IPFire WUI .
Then I added the DNS 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8

Next, I launched the modem’s configuration page and entered the APN and other data.

After saving the settings, I rebooted IPFire.

Looks like it’s working. :smiley:

It is important to remember that we have double NAT.
If someone doesn’t mind dual NAT, let them test this solution.

Edit
Some hilink firmwares, allow for additional settings.
e.g. DMZ, Virtual Server

2 Likes

Ciao @tphz

thanks for the follow up and testing.

As I mentioned I used the second USB dongle which happen to work. The try that seams to work (I did random changes before to get lucky) have been:

• use ttyACM0 as interface (ttyUSB0 was not recognized, COM0 no problem but did not connect to the ISP)
  • use same interface for “Monitor interface” (what is this setting for? not sure the implication of this setting)
  • change bound rate to 9600 (115200 was giving problem whilst connected also with serial port at same bound rate)

The RED is configured with PPP in my case

as I said I’m not sure the implication of the settings I made and I don’t know, by instance, if bound rate do effect the 3G connection at all or it is just a way to communicate with modem

Above all, in the dashboard the RED connection shows a message:

profile has error

and the RED log doesn’t show relevant warning or errors.

Probably more details in the WIKI might be helpfull.

cheers

The error may be caused by empty fields “Username” and “Password” in the “Dialup” menu. Some ISPs don’t require this.

But even though “Profile has errors” it shows, the connection works.

edit
Some modems show up as ttyACM and others as ttyUSB.