OpenVPN process stopped

Today I was using OpenVPN for the first time since upgrading to 139. Whilst copying files from ipfire to the client, I lost access to the Samba drive hosted by IPFire. I could not reconnect to OpenVPN. When I got home I checked the config and the OpenVPN process had stopped. The relevant section of the log showed:

Jan 14 15:17:39 app01 openvpnserver[3715]: event_wait : Interrupted system call (code=4)
Jan 14 15:17:39 app01 openvpnserver[3715]: ERROR: Linux route delete command failed: external program exited with error status: 2
Jan 14 15:17:39 app01 openvpnserver[3715]: /sbin/ip addr del dev tun0 local 10.141.66.1 peer 10.141.66.2
Jan 14 15:17:39 app01 openvpnserver[3715]: Linux ip addr del failed: external program exited with error status: 2
Jan 14 15:17:39 app01 openvpnserver[3715]: SIGTERM[hard,] received, process exiting

Obviously, this is inconvenient if I’m away from home and trying to access the server since I can’t use OpenVPN any more.

It may be a coincidence that this happened just after upgrading to 139.

I have the following questions:

1. Is this a known issue and, if so, is there a fix in the pipeline?
  2. Is there a way for the OpenVPN service to be restarted if it stops? I’m thinking of Windows services, which you can (optionally) restart on first, second and subsequent failures.

Thanks
Praful

Hi,
I have the same problem, i cant start the openVPN service.
It workt fine until the core update.
Pls help
Thanks

Hi Andreas

I had the problem with update 139. Which version are you having an issue with?

My problem has not occurred again. However, I saw that someone is having an issue using OpenVPN with update 141.

Praful

Hi,
also with 139.
now i updated to 141. On Systrem/home OpenVPN Online is online,
on services/openvpm still STOPPED.
And no connection possible, i am deleting all Certificate Authorities and -Keys now.

Thanks for replying.

I’m going to wait a bit until there’s greater clarity around the issue before upgrading to 141.

Please can you let us know how it progresses? It’s unclear whether the issue is isolated or more common.

Thanks
Praful

sure, but will not finish today, family party :frowning:
i hope i can finished the task tomorrow

Thanks - whenever you’re finished :slight_smile:

Enjoy your party!

Hi all,
this messages

openvpnserver[3715]: event_wait : Interrupted system call (code=4)
openvpnserver[3715]: ERROR: Linux route delete command failed: external program exited with error status: 2
openvpnserver[3715]: /sbin/ip addr del dev tun0 local 10.141.66.1 peer 10.141.66.2
openvpnserver[3715]: Linux ip addr del failed: external program exited with error status: 2
openvpnserver[3715]: SIGTERM[hard,] received, process exiting

are normal if the OpenVPN server will be stopped. Do one of you have some logs like e.g.
tailf /var/log/messages | grep openvpn
or
tailf /var/log/httpd/error_log

while the try to start the server ?
Best,

Erik

Hi,

|22:28:25|openvpnserver[2121]:|Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in /var/ipfi re/ovpn/server.conf:25: auth (2.4.8)|
|22:28:25|openvpnserver[2121]:|Use --help for more information.|

i dont know how i can fix it.
can someone help?

i have also created a new .ovpnfile and if i try to use it i get: option_error: option ‘auth’ must have at least 2 arguments

after all i can click “save” again and after this i can start the Server.

And it works again :slight_smile:

Hi @andreaso

Try commenting with a “#” line 25 of the file “/var/ipfire/ovpn/server.conf” that will put “auth”.

In some installations, the OpenVPN Client has given me an error because of this and commenting on this parameter, it worked for me.

You will tell us.

Greetings.

The --auth directive can be handled via the WUI, the appropriate menu point calls “Hash algorithm” which can be found in the " Global Settings" under “Cryptographic options:” area.

If you stop|save|start the OpenVPN server, the configuration will be rewritten. The auth directive has longer time ago been replaced from advanced to global, may that´s causes a problem which should be solved in the way andreaso