No boot after update to 167 on Raspberry Pi

Dear all!

After successfully updating core to 167, ipfire would not boot up anymore after restart.
This is a picture of the screen of my Raspberry Pi, where the hang up happens:

Hope I can rescue the system somehow!
Thanks,
Sebastian

I don’t know if it has something to do with it, but I suffer something similar.

NanoPI R2S don´t start with SSD Usb - Getting Started with IPFire / Updates Trouble - IPFire Community

It stops at a line and doesn’t move forward.

Regards.

I had the same issue using a raspberry Pi3B - The update to 167 broke my firewall. I had to go back to a backup I had of 163. How do I update to 166 again - pakfire only shows the update to the broken 167?

thanks!

@sebastianstumpf or/and @rfuk,

Please add a report to bugzilla.

Information to add a bug report in IPFire Bugzilla:

Bug Filed!

I downloaded the latest image and flashed a new SD-Card. Now the firewall is working again.

1 Like

The upgrade is broken on arm6hl devices. I’ve previously filed a bug report https://bugzilla.ipfire.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12851

I was not able to recover an upgraded bananapi. Core167 stable is still trying to boot kernel 5.15.32, which has been deleted and replaced with kernel 5.15.35.

Anyone on arm6hl, who wants to upgrade needs to ensure that they have downloaded the latest backup of their IPFire (or copied it manually from the uSD card - it’s in /var/ipfire/backup), then do a fresh install of core167 stable - which does boot and run correctly

1 Like

Hi all,

first, apologies for the inconveniences and that this issue apparently slipped through QA of Core Update 167. ARM is always a bit tricky due to the hardware diversity, and most of the core developers to not run it on a regular basis (plus, we’re currently facing some capacity shortages as well).

Nevertheless, I will investigate on that and get back to you.

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

1 Like

Great and I just updated my RPI 4B and now it’s not booting up anymore! It took several minutes until the last point showed up. After that nothing happens.

Hi all,

unfortunately, this was caused by an issue that slipped through QA of Core Update 167.

Please refer to this post for a workaround.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and best regards,
Peter Müller

Hello everyone.

When will it be possible to apply the update without fear of this problem? I say without having to do anything extra. Just apply the update and you’re done.

Greetings and thanks for your effort.

It really depends on user testing. The more people that test (and report issues) the faster the updates complete.

EDIT: see:

1 Like