Network range within Firewall Groups

Yes, I think I got it. It has to do with coding. Windows and linux “are not the same” in that respect. Have I guessed?

2 Likes

Yes.
You can read a sample thread below
https://community.ipfire.org/t/openvpn-from-an-ipad-no-config/

1 Like

I thank you. I use both Windows and linux. Many times I have encountered this problem on a practical level (Not only for IPFire). Even such an error is fatal on IPFire files, that’s for sure! :+1:

3 Likes

Yes, the topic you sent me is really helpful. You have to be careful if you use Windows. Maybe it is safer to edit everything with Linux.

Let’s say it worked out well for me in the sense that the editing program I use seems to keep the original encoding in my case :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Hi cfusco,

Ok so we can use an ipset which requires modifications via CLI.
So, then could we not just use the inbuilt iptables iprange command?

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 22 -m iprange --src-range 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.200 -j ACCEPT 

Thanks.

1 Like

Not sure, but I believe you can, using firewall.local script. Keep in mind, probably you know more than I do on these things, so take this opinion with a healthy dose of salt.

1 Like

012 - Permessi

In addition to Post #8, I feel obliged to inform those who wish to use my way, to also be careful not to change the attributes I have framed in the figure.
If you switch a file from linux to windows, the framed permissions are also reset, and this is also fatal to IPFire files. When I was new to IPFire, I had to reinstall the whole system also because of making the error just mentioned.

3 Likes

A way to use ASN in firewall rules would also be great.

1 Like

Inspired by @cfusco suggestion and observing @anowak rule
I did some tests on my IPFire CU174 test.
I am very satisfied and I must say that it works!!!
However, I noticed that every time I restart IPFire, the iptables rules are reset and have to be reinstated.
I found an unusual method to solve this problem, perhaps even as dangerous as editing IPFire files “by hand”.
I describe it with pictures…

Doing so runs /usr/iptables.sh with all the rules to be added to iptables each time IPFire is started.
Just edit that file (to customize it) and restart IPFire.

I am waiting for suggestions for any refinements regarding this system. Alternatively, is there a more professional way to save (in IPFire) the rules set with iptables?

Also because “fcrontab” I see that IPFire often restores it to its original state when the upgrade is performed. So, in my case, it has to be checked at every update.

As @cfusco suggested,
https://community.ipfire.org/t/network-range-within-firewall-groups/9508/15
you should use firewall.local and put your rules in the CUSTOMINPUT chain rather than directly in the INPUT chain, where if you make a mistake it could impact your firewall performance or security bu affecting the rules implemented in the code.

The wiki is your friend.
https://wiki.ipfire.org/pkgs/fcron

3 Likes

Thank you very much @bonnietwin
Although I think I am getting closer to a solution, I was sure that I had taken a risky path for safety and stability. I will rethink the whole situation better :wink:.

Once more. IPFire is distribution well designed and maintained regarding security and stability.
This includes the main configuration process:

• usually configuration is done using the WUI
  • this framework generates the ‘real’ config (files) for the various modules
  • some parts allow additional configuration with .local files

An update presumes this proceeding. So all standard configuration files are subject for a modification to reflect a new software version. .local configs are untouched.
Additionally it is much easier to help with problems, if this structure is adhered.

4 Likes

I thank you for the valuable suggestions. In fact, I fully agree. I specify to users who see my example, that I did it on a forklift server installed in a VmWare. So, there I can do as many experiments as I want, which I need to understand. Should my images tempt people to do “dangerous” tests on good servers, I also invite them to remove them :wink:.

1 Like

As your ‘experiments’ show, iprange can be used in IPFire.
It isn’t possible to generate a rule with the WUI (yet), but can be used in firewall.local.

You are invited to discuss a possible extension in the development mailing list.

2 Likes

I’ve always thought about it. I could use it very much. Also because I’m having tremendous difficulty solving the “IP range” entry problem by doing a safe and simple thing :grinning: :blush:.

IPv6 integration would also not be bad.

However, I don’t feel like doing that. I do not know English, I am not a developer, and these are operations that I have never done. It is better for someone with considerable experience in these areas to do it.

I still can’t figure out how to use firewall.local. to “integrate” my “brutal solution”. But should firewall.local. be edited and modified?

Short answer: yes.
Long answer RTFM

1 Like

I tried to open it (firewall.local), but I end up with some kind of “script language” and I have no idea what to write in it.

But a wrong modification of this file, isn’t it fatal?

Go to the IPFire Wiki and in the search box at the top write firewall.local and you will get a range of search results.

Looking through those results you will find some that give details of how to use firewall.local in a specific use case which you can then use that as general guidance for how to create your own input for your needs.

2 Likes

Again, thank you very much. While I was waiting for a response, I did some research. I can also do some testing on my IPFire forklift. However, I am still left with the question whether it is fatal to edit this file incorrectly.