Need help with setup of ipfire

aesenn

If you regularly use a lot of your 200/200 Internet service then a RPi 3B+ won’t cope. Nevertheless, it has been a good learning curve for you with IPFire.

AFAIK, RPi 3 series still put onboard Ethernet through the single USB bus, so onboard plus your USB Ethernet dongle are sharing 240 Mb/s effective throughput, resulting in 120 Mb/s maximum for each - less in practice, because other devices, such as SD card are also sharing the USB bus. Putting high data rate from the Internet into a slower Ethernet device could produce the data loss and ping delays that you are observing

A Gigabit USB Ethernet dongle won’t help - it would still be constrained by USB throughput plus Gb dongles tend to chomp 500 mA, which is a lot for a RPi.

In short, if you need anything approaching 200/200 then you need to set up an x86_64 box for IPFire

@aesenn - Did you get things working?

NTP & Ping
I built up a RasPi 3B+ with Core 138 (2.23.2gb-ext4.armv5tel-full-core138) and NTP seems to be working A-OK for me. If I go to the console or terminal I can enter date and get the correct time.

And pings work as expected. I can ping google and many others.

Ethernet LEDs
The green LAN LED indicates the RasPi 3B+ is connected to a 10/100mb network connection and blinking LED indicates data transfer.

The amber/orange LAN LED indicates the RasPi 3B+ is connected to a 1000mb network connection and a blinking LED indicates data transfer.

@aesenn - I owe you an apology for sending you bad info. The RapPi 3B+ on-board LAN is Gigabit Ethernet and it tops out at near 300 Mbits/sec. I’m trying to locate some technical info on it.

EDIT: Raspberry Pi 3B+ Specs and Benchmarks — The MagPi magazine
See Faster Ethernet (Gigabit via USB) section.