Multi-homing with IPv6 load balancing, failover and dynamic global prefixes

Hello kind sirs!

Today I have a small OpenWRT router, on which I have 2 ISPs connected: ISP1 has GPON and uses PPPoE to provide IPv4 and IPv6 (very very troubling to get working on OpenWRT, but I did it!). ISP2 has HFC and uses DHCP to provide IPv4 and IPv6 (easy peezy). Both delegate a single /64 global prefix, I’ve been fighting with both for years and there’s no prediction of them following IPv6 standards.

I’ve been considering changing OpenWRT to another OS, I had read about pfSense and OPNsense and now I’m starting to read about IPFire.

I also have a Ubuntu server, which is also my NAS, with some services like Tor relay and pihole, so I don’t keep any services on the router that aren’t strictly related to routing and IP delegation.

My main concern for the router is the flexibility to handle IPv6. As I don’t have proper global prefixes, I can’t setup VLANs directly. Router also needs to identify when a global prefix is “dynamically” changed and replicate the change to any router software and all devices that need it.

And, of course, I need load balancing and failover on IPv6, so it’s troubling to assign IPv6 addresses on both prefixes to all devices, as it ends up for each of them to choose which route to use, not the router.

Due to all that I believe NPTv6 is the simplest solution, even thou it’s a draft yet. I’m open to any other solution.

OpenWRT does all that greatly for IPv4, but has been far from supporting it on IPv6. I just gave up and let each device do/try to do whatever they want, on a single VLAN.

pfSense seems to support NPTv6, but requires prefix to be set staticly. OPNsense has a project task open for years to detect and propagate global prefix changes, but nobody has been working on developing it.

Could anybody plz tell or point some articles explaining how IPFire handles these needs (multi-wan, load balancing + failover and IP masquerading) for IPv4 and IPv6?

If possible, I’m also interested on what it has for traffic monitoring. Today I use Yamon, which has reports for each LAN device on their download and upload amount, for each hour, day, month and year. It’s nice but has some limitations and hasn’t been updated for over a year, so I’m afraid it’s abandoned.

In time: let’s avoid debating about IPv6 design and how ISPs should behave. Every time I talk or see talks about IPv6 it goes that path and we stop talking about solutions. Let’s just consider that it is what it is, IPSs will do what the protocol allows them to do, and we users must work on what we have today to get our network and VLANs working.

AFAIK, IPv6 should be a no-go for IpFire…

1 Like

Really? Why is that?

First of all, please double check documentation and wiki to confirm (or not) if I am right. Currently my ISP do not require IPv6 so I’m writing what i’m recalling about the feature. I am eager to find by years products/projects who supports correcly IPv6. Make me laugh that Windows XP, during its aging, gained that. Even Windows 2000 had a “technology preview” of the updated stack, but i can’t tell you the grade of goodness of both.

Second, i would like to wait for answer to “why” a word from the developer team. By that time, you can look for information into Discourse, if it’s reported.

devs do what they can, with the funds they have. As I said, NPTv6 spec isn’t even completely defined yet. DHCPv6 is seen as a monster by many.

It’s very different to support IPv6 on a client OS and even on a server OS, and on a router OS. And IPv6 is much more complex than IPv4, way more.

I’ll look on docs and project management tool. At first I was just asking anybody who has some experience and would kindly tell me if I have hope on IPfire or if I should just move on. Maybe even point me to some forum or PM task where these features might be being debated.

On your unique phrase, I understand it’ll be a waste of time to look on docs and other OSs are much better. That’s why I asked why IPfire would be so bad as it looked like.