Mixed blue wlan-ap + wired lan

Many greetings to all :slight_smile:

I have been using ipfire for many years, before that the ipcop with the add-on wlan-ap.
Everything is perfekt!

I need better coverage for the WiFi and bought a repeater.
Unfortunately, the throughput is poor.
Can I operate the blue network with wifi-ap AND a wired connection to the repeater?
Can I solve this using the zones?
Can I assign more than one assignment (wlan0 + eth0)?

Thank you for your feedback and the effort

IPFire 2.25 (i586) - Core Update 146

I am not sure I understand your question. I think you are looking for a way to create a zone with two interfaces bridged together. In that case, https://wiki.ipfire.org/configuration/network/zoneconf

Hi cfusco,

I’m looking for a way to offer a zone (blue - 192.168.2.0/24) both on the wlan-ap-interface wlan0 and at the same time on an AP that is connected to the interface eth0.

Yes, i think that is a bridge between wlan0 and eth0 for the blue zone .

it is correctly to set the zone blue “native” for wlan0 and eth0 in the zone configuration ?

best regards
gerhard

I never did it with the web interface but using scripts. I think what you are proposing, “native” settings for the two interfaces is correct, but for the network “blue” I believe you have to select “bridge”, not “normal”. What I am not sure is if the web interface will make the correct modifications to the networking scripts and create a bridge for you or if you have to do it manually. In case, I can post a script as I did it few years back for a friend.

Edit: I based my scripts on this post of the old forum: https://forum.ipfire.org/viewtopic.php?t=11860

Hi cfusco,

yes I would be grateful if you could provide me with the script

best regards
Gerhard

after trying it out, I found out the following that I would like to share

Zoning saves the script /etc/init.d/bridge 

For the zone assignments BLUE = bridge
wlan0 = native
eth0 = native (although this is actually eth3 = LAN4 → see ‘ifconfig -a’ → search according to MAC)

Then before! the reboot
File / var / ipfire / wlanap / settings
File /var/ipfire/wlanap/hostapd.conf
Change interface = from blue0 to wlan0!
otherwise WLAN-AP will not find a WLAN adapter

after the restart wifi works normally and brctl show shows the bridge correctly

brctl show

blue0 8000.02f21aa0ce31 no eth3 + wlan0

for german user:

ich habe nach einigem Probieren folgendes herausgefunden, das ich hiermit teilen möchte.

Die Zonenzuordnung erspart das Script /etc/init.d/bridge

Bei den Zonenzuordnungen BLUE = BrĂŒcke
wlan0 = nativ
eth0 = nativ (obwohl das eigentlich eth3 = LAN4 ist ! → ‘ifconfig -a’ → lt. MAC raussuchen)

Dann vor ! dem reboot
Datei /var/ipfire/wlanap/settings
Datei /var/ipfire/wlanap/hostapd.conf
interface= von blue0 auf wlan0 Àndern !
sonst findet WLAN-AP keinen WLAN-Adapter

nach dem neustart funktioniert das wlan normal und brctl show zeigt die bridge richtig an

brctl show

blue0 8000.02f21aa0ce31 no eth3 + wlan0

@startrek

Hello,

according to FAQ

Please post in English only.

Thank you.

thank you for your assistance

Hi Community,

i want to realize something similar as gerhard did, but i don’t have a spare nic for the blue zone.

So i tried to set the blue zone to bridge mode and added wlan0 (=blue0) and eth0(=green0) with VLAN 200.

Before the restart i also changed both config-files to wlan0.

After the restart i have the problem that interface blue0 and wlan0 (which just appears when i have the bridge configured) are both down. WlanAP is running, but wireless devices can’t find the SSID.

The AP (OpenWRT) is already configured to VLAN 200 (i hope correctly
) but devices logged in don’t get an IP-Address from the IPFire.

Have i done something wrong. Is this setup even possible?

Except the message “blue0: port 1(wlan0) entered disabled state” i can’t find anything relevant in the logs

“brctl show” is:
bridge name bridge id STP enabled interfaces
blue0 8000.023593904a24 no wlan0

So eth0 is missing here.

Thank You All very much in advance!

KR,
Max