Logging ISP outages

I’ve been having a bad rash of outages from my ISP, and am wondering if there are any logs I could reference to determine just how much time I’ve been offline in the past 30 days and use that data in a complaint.

I’ll be setting something up specifically track it going forward, but are there any logs in a default installation I could use to count up the total amount of time I’ve been offline on the red network?

Thanks!

I hope the link below will be helpful

Best

3 Likes

Have a look at the WIO addon.

Define a “must be always online host” like google DNS Server 8.8.8.8.

Ping every minute to this server.

WIO show the online status for this host.

If host is offline → your ISP is down.

Simple!

This is exactly what I was looking for! I was concentrating on the Logging section so much that I didn’t think to look elsewhere.

The graph is a great starting point, but do you happen to know where this particular .rrd file is stored? I could use rrdtool manually to pull more detailed data for exact dates and times.

The rrd files are in
/var/log/rrd/collectd/localhost/ping/

There are three files there

-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 152K Jul 12 14:20 ping_droprate-gateway.rrd
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 152K Jul 12 14:20 ping-gateway.rrd
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 152K Jul 12 14:20 ping_stddev-gateway.rrd

which should contain the data you want.

3 Likes

Thank you Adolph! I was just returning to mention that I found them and you had already done so. :slight_smile: Good to know I have the right files!

1 Like

Just as a reminder:

You can also ping other hosts this way.

BR

2 Likes

Just adding for the sake of completeness the incredible data analysis work that’s possible in plain english with ChatGPT and its new code interpreter plugin that uses a sandbox to execute live code… It was able to take my raw log data and compute the outage dates, times, and durations. You can see the work and the flow used to do so here, along with the results:

1 Like