IPv6 needed, urgent, nice to have?

Is the iPfire 2.x considered as fully developed, and won’t be developed anymore ? Or is there still a roadmap for this running version ?

So when the future iPfire 3 is ready to be launched, it will replace iPfire 2.x ?

What more can we expect from iPfire 3, that isn’t available in present version ?

Thanks for all the updates on the way forward. Just set up reoccurring donation just a drop in the bucket but it’s long overdue.

2 Likes

No, we are still working on it, support it 100% and will release new features.

However, some parts of the code base are maintenance only. There is no point on working on this any more because it needs a rewrite. That is why we started IPFire 3.

Yes it will, but there will be a time when both releases will be supported for easier migration. Eventually IPFire 2 will be discontinued.

Lots of features that have been planned for IPFire 3 have been backported to IPFire 2 already. IPFire 3 is re-thought, re-designed and built with IPv6 first for example. That allows for a much better firewall because when IPFire 2 was designed, the Internet looked a lot different.

6 Likes

Next time you sent out donation mail request, I think this should be stated. (One euro a month is enough if everyone contributes). Maybe also add pictures showing how easy it is to do. Before we gave up, cause it was so complicated.

I have no problem paying €20 yearly subscription. And I think most can pay €12.

For a start, please add the option €1 and €12 (and €20) into your donation webpage.
I will for sure start a yearly donation from today. I just donated, and the interface is very user friendly and quick and easy to use. Even remember my card.

Also, may I suggest an option to pay directly from IPFire itself ? (A link).
Maybe a pop up asking €2 at every upgrade ?

1 Like

@ms It looks like we’re closer to 2030, than 2025 for first release version 3.

Too bad we can’t have more companies willing to pay.
How attempting it must be to create a small bug for some minutes in order to get their attention.
I guess the IT guy doesn’t have a budget or access to donate money on behalf of the company. And the CEO, don’t care, cause Internett is working.

Maybe sending an invoice, would have the right peoples attention in various companies.

I wish I had a good answer how to double the donations.

I actually do have an idea how to get quite a lot of new (paying) customers. But I need help to promote and write an article at a certain webpage about it. Especially a better idiot proof user guide in setting up VLAN and splitting networks physically by how to do this settings in the firewall. Still this topic is to unclear to me, that I can support the community which I like to promote IPFire to.

Sometimes I compare IPFire with SAP. So dam correct done, but impossible to manage unless you’re an engineer. The German way of doing things.

I’m sure it’s possible to make a more user friendly GUI, but that’s a topic for another day (decade I guess).

1 Like

Although I like the phrase “a buck a month”, this is not practical because of transaction fees. Credit card and PayPal charge enough fees that at the end we will keep a couple of cents.

Hopefully not.

Exactly. And they have usually spent all their money with Microsoft or the big cloud providers who are now milking them for more money again and again and again…

8 Likes

Up.

Good Morning IPFire.

Starting 1st february 2024, AWS will charge 4 USD par month for IPv4.

Welcome to the internet, developers, I hope you’ll enjoy the run.