Ipfire showed internet connected on Red but cannot access sites

Just a shot in the dark here, but …

Have you tried disabling the DHCP feature of your router box, and plugging ipFire’s green into the one of the local lan ports of your router box instead of the main wan input port ? (important: cannot have two dhcp servers on the same subnet )

Your router box would now work as an straight Access Point / Switch instead of another router in the chain.
WiFi and PC’s would now get DHCP addresses from ipFire green.
You may need to give your router box a new static IP address from the green subnet so you can still configure it while on green subnet.

I think trying to get VPN access across the two routing devices (ipFire and your second router box) is going to be rather messy (both devices will need tweaking).

2 Likes

@phamd4 - Was your diy router box peviously connected directly to your ISP modem ?
If so, were you able to connect to your home devices via outside internet through VPN ?
With a IP subnet of 24.* and 146.*, this looks like a direct bridge connection to your diy router.

If so, I assume that what you’re actually trying to do here is to insert ipFire between your ISP and your diy router box in order to add an extra layer of secutity going towards your diy router box, and therefore also the security of your devices connected to it.

I’m no expert on setting up VPN into green, so I’m not much help there.

Hello,

What you said is exactly right. I’m living with others people and my router is one of the router connected to the owner ISP modem. So my ipfire sit inbetween the owner ISP modem and mine router.

Thank you again for your respond

@phamd4 Just another thing.
To understand you network(s) and help with your problems, could you please describe your installation more precisely?
(Logical) networks written in CIDR notation (aa.bb.cc.dd/nn) - WAN, LAN1 router<–>IPFire, LAN2 router<–> clients.
OpenVPN configuration ( as given in WebGUI and described in wiki wiki.ipfire.org - OpenVPN on IPFire )

If it is a DNS problem then can you ping google.co.uk?
You will be able to ping 8.8.4.4 as that is an ip which will not require DNS
GaryNZ

1 Like