Hi, after applying the IPFire update I came up with a problem that I cannot understand
i have an I5 machine with two lan cards (Red, Green) plus a Wifi card for Blu
I went from IPFire 2.27 core 159 to core 160
the problem is that it seems that in loaded dns servers it does not work, in fact whatever url I write tells me site unreachable, checking the log I find errors but from a quick check it seems that all are a consequence of the lack of dns
instead connecting to the consol this error comes out
I have no idea what could have happened or what could have gone wrong
If you are having a problem with DNS then you need to look at the Network - Domain Name System WUI menu entry.
What is the overall status near the top of the page and if you press the “Check DNS Servers” button what status do you get for each individual DNS server that is listed?
On the Status - Services WUI menu does the DNS Proxy Server show as RUNNING or STOPPED?
Thanks for your answer, the system is connected and my connection of my ISP is working, I also executed the ping command indicated by you and it works, another test followed is to connect a PC to the router bypassing IPFire I navigate without problems
Okay so the internet connection is working but DNS isn’t.
I would have expected many more error: SERVFAIL
messages in your log with the internet connection working. I would expect to see messages for each DNS server that you have enabled.
[root@IPF ~]# ping -c4 www.google.com
ping: www.google.com: Name or service not known
[root@IPF ~]# ping -c4 18.104.22.168
PING 22.214.171.124 (126.96.36.199) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 188.8.131.52: icmp_seq=1 ttl=54 time=20.9 ms
64 bytes from 184.108.40.206: icmp_seq=2 ttl=54 time=21.0 ms
64 bytes from 220.127.116.11: icmp_seq=3 ttl=54 time=20.9 ms
64 bytes from 18.104.22.168: icmp_seq=4 ttl=54 time=20.8 ms
So Internet connection is working and access to DNS servers is working.
unbound is running based on your logs and your active processes list.
This suggests that there must be a structural error in your DNS server definitions.
Are you running TLS as your protocol for DNS queries and did you change this from TCP or UDP previously?
If yes then the likelihood is that you have not added in the TLS Hostname after changing from TCP/UDP to TLS.
I have checked and if you try and enter a TLS entry without a hostname then you get an error message saying that the hostname is missing.
However if you have a set of DNS servers specified without hostnames under TCP or UDP and then change the protocol from TCP/UDP to TLS IPFire does not flag up that the hostnames are missing but unbound will fail to make the DNS over TLS communication as this requires the TLS hostname to be specified.
Holding the mouse pointer over the Error message for the DNS servers should show up “No TLS hostname given”
Thanks for the advice given, I found what it was, I indicate it in order to help other users
My problem was in the model of my ISP, an update of the modem’s FW had been performed, the same had a bug that randomly blocked DNS calls for a period of time
downgraded and everything still works
thanks again for the support provided