IPFire Add-On of C Compiler

Hi I am trying to figure out a way to installing build-essential or makefile for C programming software.

Is there a build or dev test that I can implement.

I am attempting to install ossec and is missing c compiler in ipfire.

Any suggestions will help.

Most everything you need is here:

2 Likes

I am not much on the developing side but was hopefully hinting at any knowledge on if the build was created.

I search for the gcc build but seems its still in testing: pakfire.ipfire.org - Package - gcc

That is not the current (stable). Most of the items in that area are tests versions.

This might help:

My gcc on Debian 11 is:

jon@deb11HPZ:~$ gcc --version
gcc (Debian 10.2.1-6) 10.2.1 20210110
Copyright (C) 2020 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

jon@deb11HPZ:~$ 
1 Like

Hi,
to my knowledge, there are deliberately no build tools available within the IPFire OS.

4 Likes

Yes, this is part of hardening the system.

You will need to create the build system as it has been linked to earlier in this thread.

1 Like

You can even use IPFire as the build OS for doing the IPFire build as indicated in this wiki page

https://wiki.ipfire.org/devel/ipfire-2-x/build-initial

Irrespective of the Linux OS used on the build system, you will need to make sure you have a powerful enough cpu otherwise the build process will take a very long time.

When I first started doing builds I had an Athlon 2 64 bit processor and the build took between 13 and 15 hours.

My next board had a Ryzen 5 2400G processor. That got the build time down to around 5 to 6 hours.

Then I had an i5 8400 processor. That ended up with a build time of around 3.5 to 4.5 hours.

Currently I have a Ryzen 7 5700G processor and my build times now are between 1.5 and 2.5 hours.

In all cases the first ever build takes much longer because nothing is available in the ccache.

What you found there is the IPFire3.x build system which has gcc available for the build. Similarly to IPFire2.x, IPFire3.x will not have gcc available in the actual installed firewall.

1 Like

Hi all,

@piuser, just for interest, do you want to use the OSSEC binary installer then ? And another one :blush: , are you using OSSEC+ or OSSEC without registration ?

Best,

Erik

I have just looked up what ossec is.

Is there a particular reason you want to use ossec rather than using the built-in IPS based on Suricata?

Hi Adolf,
in very short spoken for myself to not get OT the combination between IDPS and HID(P)S is interesting e.g. → https://www.researchgate.net/publication/361825906_Suricata_and_OSSEC_IDPS_Systems_Review_April_2022 .

Best,

Erik

3 Likes

@ummeegge not ossec+, more so ossec agent, wanted to send HIDS info to my ossim vm.

@bonnietwin ossec is a HIDS, much differ to Suricata regarding process

1 Like

OK, i see. If you have setup a IPFire building environment, it might be a possibility to make a complete build, change into chroot and compile an OSSEC agent for a binary installation → https://www.ossec.net/docs/docs/manual/installation/installation-binary.html and import it to your dedicated machine. I did that long time ago and it simply works at that time but for a specific installation a longer way needs to be done.
Not sure if it makes sense to post it here but there are some building instructions out there → ummeegge / ossec-wazuh · GitLab which where/are in fact not complete nor actual and also, as already mentioned, long time ago but may it can give you an idea for your project ?!

Best,

Erik

3 Likes