IPFire 2.27 - Core Update 159 - Raspberry pi 4?

Probably dependent on the stock that a supplier has so newly purchased may still be an old hardware version if the stock is not so new.
Unfortunately if Raspberry don’t put a hardware version number on the board then it is just a guessing game.

I’ll leave to those having RPi 4 to update the wiki content regarding it. I don’t have one.

This isn’t the list I was looking for but it might help:

https://elinux.org/RPi_HardwareHistory

Near the end of the table are three entries for the latest RPi boards. They have a version 1.4 with a release date of Q2 2020.

See Arne’s post for reference to the version 1.4:

I tried LOTS of different terminal commands to grab the model number but I didn’t find one that works with the IPFire. Many of the commands I found were for the Raspberry Pi OS Buster (or something similar). Like this one in the link above:

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'Revision'

A few references were non-RPi terminal commands but I did not locate the Model number.

So we may need to find a way to identify the model number and the version. Besides building up a Raspberry PI OS build and testing.

The reality is that someone could spend upwards of 100 euro on a RPi 4 ensemble (board, case, fan, power supply, quality uSD card) and have unknown/low probablity of it working with IPFire, whereas for not much more oultlay, they could purchase an economy, pre-assembled x86_64 mini-pc and have almost 100% probablity of it working with IPFire.

Rodney - I understand what you just stated. That makes sense to me.

And I know the 8GB RAM model is the one that doesn’t work. I think the note at the top addresses that device.

So I am missing your concern. What words are missing from the wiki?

If you just do

cat /proc/cpuinfo

Then there is a section like this

Hardware	: BCM2835
Revision	: a01041
Serial		: 00000000ab2dce93
Model		: Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Rev 1.1

The line Revision is the same as the first column of the table that you showed. So you should be able to tell from that if a board is a 1.4 or earlier.

The above is from an old RPi that I use with Arch Linux as my orange zone dhcp server but the cpuinfo should, I believe, be available from all the ARM based installs.

Jon - the table that you showed indicates that all production from 2020 is ver 1.4 and Arne says there is no early solution for that model. Anyone now buying a RPi 4, with whatever RAM is most likely to end up with a ver 1.4, even though you did not.

I suggest that the wiki say that new RPi 4 are unlikely to be compatible with IPFire, unless/until a viable bootloader is devised.

1 Like

That info is available on the RPi Buster OS side but is not available on the IPFire OS side.

[root@ipfireC159RPi4B2 ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
BogoMIPS	: 108.00
Features	: fp asimd evtstrm crc32 cpuid
CPU implementer	: 0x41
CPU architecture: 8
CPU variant	: 0x0
CPU part	: 0xd08
CPU revision	: 3

processor	: 1

processor	: 2

processor	: 3

[root@ipfireC159RPi4B2 ~]# 
1 Like

Wasn’t able to test that directly as I don’t have any RPi’s running IPFire, only Arch Linux.

So if you have a RPi and want to check its version for IPFire you would have to have a SD card with Raspbian on it so you can get that cpuinfo.

@rodneyp has a good point that if the 1.4 versions came in at Q2 2020 and the 1.2 version was Q2 2019 and we are now in Q3 2021 there is unlikely to be many RPi4’s out there that are not 1.4 any more.

Agree! And I just did. Looks like I got an old one!

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -A3 'Hardware'
Hardware	: BCM2711
Revision	: c03111
Serial		: 10000000a581d86d
Model		: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ 

1 Like

Craig, can you re-insert (or maybe re-install) the Raspian image? And then run this command and post back here?

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -A3 'Hardware'

Therein lies the problem. There are innumerable vendors of RPi 4, but it is usually impossible to know whether they are holding new, “NOS (new old stock)” or simply drop-shipping from a larger stockist.

With more than 18 months of rev 1.4 in stock somewhere, that rev is the most likely to be delivered.

I should be able to find some time in the next day or so. I will post my findings here. I would bet that I’ve got the new revision even though I have a 4g version.

Here you go:

Hardware	: BCM2711
Revision	: c03114
Serial		: 10000000e9850b31
Model		: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4
1 Like

“Please try core162 nightly build if you have the version 1.4 board
https://nightly.ipfire.org/next/latest/aarch64/
and report if it works.”

I’m not actually sure if this is the correct spot to “report” this, but I successfully installed the core162 nightly build to a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 8GB (Rev 1.4).

It would be great if this could be included in the next stable release.

i’ve just tried it on the rev 1.4, still getting the error -22
how did you do it?

I have uncompressed the image direct to the device in linux:

“xzcat image > /dev/sd?” or mmc?blk

The core162 image should work without changes in serial console mode and if you set SERIAL-CONSOLE=off in eENV.txt with HDMI screen.

Also boot from usb without an mmc has worked now at my 8GB board. Can your powersupply deliver enough current?

1 Like

i’ve tried the usb boot, it worked. thanks

I will try to find some time this weekend to test this out.