IPFire 2.27 - Core Update 159 - Raspberry pi 4?

This is strange because i use ubuntu 20.04 on an 8GB RPi4 to built the IPFire image.
Maybee there are also different 8GB hardware revisions.

I honestly don’t know at this point. While I’m fairly technical, u-boot is way lower level than I generally deal with and I don’t really know how else to help.

Hi, i’m new to Ipfire and Raspberry and i’m facing the same problem
invalid bus width
error -22 whilst initialising SD Card
And really don’t know what to do, i’ve tried flashing it many times using different pieces of software and still getting the same error
i have the new board rev 1.4
which models do you have?

I have Rev 1.2 as 2GB and 4GB version.

Rev 1.4 has an important hardware change. The VIA VL805 has no firmware EEPROM anymore so the bootloader must initalize it before it try to use it.

I have tried to update u-boot to 2021.10 rc5 which now crash on all my RPi 4 boards.
https://people.ipfire.org/~arne_f/highly-experimental/u-boot-2021.10-rc5/
so is no solution.

Is it worth me downloading and trying on my Pi or is it completely busted?

I did try to post to their mailing list about this issue, but my post has so far not cleared moderation. It is unclear to me how to interact with the u-boot team to even log this issue.

Craig

Hello,
maybe that’s a helpful hint.

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=319125
https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=15422

According to this threads i have modified the files boot.cmd and boot.scr and ipfire boots up until setup with a revision 1.4 board.

- booti ${kernel_addr_r} ${ramdisk_addr} ${fdt_addr_r};
+ booti ${kernel_addr_r} ${ramdisk_addr} ${fdt_addr};
- booti ${kernel_addr_r} - ${fdt_addr_r};
+ booti ${kernel_addr_r} - ${fdt_addr};

But after that it doesn’t go any further.
The keyboard does not work or the system hangs.

Regards
Michael

This seems like a very positive bit of insight!

Considering the popularity of RPi 4 boards, should a note be put on the wiki, to the effect that “newly purchased boards are currenly not working” ?

there is already a note:

True - but newbies might not be aware of whether rev 1.4 is old, new or somewhere in between nor might vendors be aware of what rev they are selling, because there appears to be no relevant markings.

IPFire Project won’t endear itself to prospective users if many buy a new device, only to find that it might not be supported any time soon.

It isn’t ALL “newly purchased boards”. My RPi4B 4GB RAM model is brand new and just purchased last month. And it works A-OK.

Feel free to update the IPFire Wiki as you see fit. It is open to the IPFire community for reading and writing.

Probably dependent on the stock that a supplier has so newly purchased may still be an old hardware version if the stock is not so new.
Unfortunately if Raspberry don’t put a hardware version number on the board then it is just a guessing game.

I’ll leave to those having RPi 4 to update the wiki content regarding it. I don’t have one.

This isn’t the list I was looking for but it might help:

https://elinux.org/RPi_HardwareHistory

Near the end of the table are three entries for the latest RPi boards. They have a version 1.4 with a release date of Q2 2020.

See Arne’s post for reference to the version 1.4:

I tried LOTS of different terminal commands to grab the model number but I didn’t find one that works with the IPFire. Many of the commands I found were for the Raspberry Pi OS Buster (or something similar). Like this one in the link above:

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'Revision'

A few references were non-RPi terminal commands but I did not locate the Model number.

So we may need to find a way to identify the model number and the version. Besides building up a Raspberry PI OS build and testing.

The reality is that someone could spend upwards of 100 euro on a RPi 4 ensemble (board, case, fan, power supply, quality uSD card) and have unknown/low probablity of it working with IPFire, whereas for not much more oultlay, they could purchase an economy, pre-assembled x86_64 mini-pc and have almost 100% probablity of it working with IPFire.

Rodney - I understand what you just stated. That makes sense to me.

And I know the 8GB RAM model is the one that doesn’t work. I think the note at the top addresses that device.

So I am missing your concern. What words are missing from the wiki?

If you just do

cat /proc/cpuinfo

Then there is a section like this

Hardware	: BCM2835
Revision	: a01041
Serial		: 00000000ab2dce93
Model		: Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Rev 1.1

The line Revision is the same as the first column of the table that you showed. So you should be able to tell from that if a board is a 1.4 or earlier.

The above is from an old RPi that I use with Arch Linux as my orange zone dhcp server but the cpuinfo should, I believe, be available from all the ARM based installs.

Jon - the table that you showed indicates that all production from 2020 is ver 1.4 and Arne says there is no early solution for that model. Anyone now buying a RPi 4, with whatever RAM is most likely to end up with a ver 1.4, even though you did not.

I suggest that the wiki say that new RPi 4 are unlikely to be compatible with IPFire, unless/until a viable bootloader is devised.

1 Like

That info is available on the RPi Buster OS side but is not available on the IPFire OS side.

[root@ipfireC159RPi4B2 ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
BogoMIPS	: 108.00
Features	: fp asimd evtstrm crc32 cpuid
CPU implementer	: 0x41
CPU architecture: 8
CPU variant	: 0x0
CPU part	: 0xd08
CPU revision	: 3

processor	: 1

processor	: 2

processor	: 3

[root@ipfireC159RPi4B2 ~]# 
1 Like

Wasn’t able to test that directly as I don’t have any RPi’s running IPFire, only Arch Linux.

So if you have a RPi and want to check its version for IPFire you would have to have a SD card with Raspbian on it so you can get that cpuinfo.

@rodneyp has a good point that if the 1.4 versions came in at Q2 2020 and the 1.2 version was Q2 2019 and we are now in Q3 2021 there is unlikely to be many RPi4’s out there that are not 1.4 any more.