Ipfire 2.25 Core 147 Random Number Generator Daemon FAIL?

after first installation,
and first booting process can see on screen,
Random Number Generator Daemon FAIL ?

does your system have a hardware random number generator? please give us more information about your system.

if not you can buy one here https://www.ibbergmann.org/

for your information sorrry for german old forum https://forum.ipfire.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19207 btw could someone who’s using this write something in wiki?

Hardware = Dell E6510 Processor=i5,

2 x USB —> Netzwerk-Adapter-RJ45 = Apple Model:A1277 works in other PC.

You could look into /etc/init.d/rngd to analyse if there’s something missing on your system, maybe the /dev/hwrng device? Try to run /usr/sbin/rngd -r /dev/hwrng -f and watch the error messages, if any.

hello Data Morgana,
can not exec. this file
./rngd -r /dev/hwrng -f
file -rwxr-xr-x root root 41760 rngd

Do you have the device /dev/hwrng on your system? If not, rngd cannot run or needs another device to open.

the device /dev/hwrng is there,
crw------- 1 root root 10, 183 Aug 22 08:54 hwrng

but

can not exec. this file
./rngd -r /dev/hwrng -f
file -rwxr-xr-x root root 41760 rngd

Just to make sure we didn’t miss anything here… Have you tried this instead of ./rngd

# /usr/sbin/rngd -r /dev/hwrng -f

This is how it looks like on my system:

# /usr/sbin/rngd -r /dev/hwrng -f

Initalizing available sources

Failed to init entropy source 0: Hardware RNG Device

Failed to init entropy source 1: TPM RNG Device

Enabling RDSEED rng support

^C
# ./rngd
-bash: ./rngd: No such file or directory
1 Like

in paste time i type missing commands,

now so i have the same message on screen,
what can i do ?

Unless you’ve got a hardware random numbers generator (HWRNG), you can’t do anything but accepting the failure message during booting and stay calm. The RNG daemon would read entropy data from the (serial) HWRNG device if available and feed it into the entropy pool.

If this command

# cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail 

shows something similar on your system then you probably don’t need it anyway. It is nice to have if you do a lot with encryption: VPN, SSL etc. It prevents the system from stalling when the entropy pool gets exhausted too fast (often the case on virtual machines).

There are some nice little HWRNGs on the market. Search for e.g. “TrueRNG”, it can be plugged-in as a USB stick. There are more solutions like these.