Installation on a HP DL360 G10

Yes this was the correct way but it seems to be not a kernel or kernel-driver problem.
Grub should print some loading messages before it jump to the kernel.
I’m not sure what happens here.

Does this HP support the legacy/CSM mode?
Is there a bios/uefi update from HP?

yes it does support the legacy mode, i tried it pressed tab in the boot menu and edited the entry to vga=scan

and now i got this error

i searched for a newer Firmware and last week was a Update and tried the same steps again with the same error

at least now i get some output what went wrong, so any ideas?

and i tried the nolapic-timer option in the same row as “vga=scan” but with same result

so after i added the options noapic nolapic acpi=off i got this new error

i disabled the processor option
2020-02-17 14_22_20-Intelligent Provisioning

and tried again with the vga=scan option and voila it is starting

Then i tried it with uefi and no other options again and it is starting.

@arne_f @ms this is maybe something for the 143/144 update to add
Thanks for your help and advices

x2apic is a feature of CPUs born about 12 years ago.
Is this a feature that leads to vulnerabilities?

This clearly is a firmware bug. You should report that to the hardware vendor.

No. This has nothing to do with Meltdown/Spectre/MDS/etc. if you are referring to that.

If this is enabled by default this is a firmware bug. Normal this should only enabled on very large servers.

Here the Help text to the kernel option:

This enables x2apic support on CPUs that have this feature.

This allows 32-bit apic IDs (so it can support very large systems), and accesses the local apic via MSRs not via mmio.

If you don't know what to do here, say N.

So in IPFire this is disabled.

Maybe this occurency can be reported into a specific wiki page “what to try if you cannot boot up IPfire Boot Disk”.

I am not a fan of having things like that on the wiki, because they age. The next kernel might work better or worse and nobody will ever update those pages. Normally they get abandoned really quickly because people move on to hardware that just works and cannot bother with these problems all of the time.

@awobs is your Proliant rolling fine with IpFire now?
Sorry to bug you but I am bit curious.
Is CPU enough for 100 IpSec tunnels?

Where/how do you add these options during bootup of the installer?

Thanks

Nevermind. I figured it out but I just need to know do I do the same in the grub.cfg file directly.

Thanks

Yes, you would add those options in the “linux” line of grub.cfg file.

If you are in bootmenu try “e” or “tab” (depend on bios/efi) to edit the used kernel options. There is no need to burn a changed disk or edit the bootmedia.

After the system has booted once you can edit /etc/defaults/grub to permanent add such parameters.