I’ll be exploring pfsense, OPNsense and ipfire in the next few weeks…

I can’t speak for anyone else, and need to dig in, as I’ll be exploring pfsense, opmsense and ipfire in the next few weeks… I don’t have experience with any of them.

For me, the main things I want to be able to do on my firewall/router into my home network is be able to also run wireguard, pihole and a web reverse-proxy… I can run all of these on a separate device, but reducing the number of devices is desireable for me.

I believe there are already options that include/replicate the functionality of pihole and may or may not include wireguard support… and the reverse-proxy, I can run on my mini server itself. But those are the main things I would run on said device… effectively other things that would already be related to ingress control, except pihole itself.

I may wind up running something like proxmox on the host, then attach the other network interfaces to the firewall on the device (got one of the 4x port mini intel computers to run this all on as I wanted a bit more than I have now).

All the other requirements are possible with IPFire (including the reverse proxy), but not wireguard. These are the motivations of IPFire developers, in detail: Why not wireguard, by Michael Tremer

4 Likes

I can understand why IPFire wouldn’t include it… this is for more home/home-office usage, and it’s been probably the best fit for me, and found it to be incredibly easy to setup via docker-compose… Of course, it’s not the only thing I’m looking to do… I’m starting to lean towards putting it all under ProxMox anyway, so that will allow a bit more flexibility for me.

Thanks for the reply.

1 Like