Alright so, I have had this one box running IPFire for close to three years now. It’s awesome!
Unfortunately a couple of nights ago, I decided to take it from its Core 154 version to Core 158. So I went over the the pakfire tab on the WebUI, clicked update and away it went.
I kept my eye on it while I did other things, and it was progressing smoothly like usual. At one point I noticed it was stuck applying 157. I figured I’d let it just sit there and do whatever it needed to do, so I went to bed. I woke up the next day, to the same screen and I thought “uh oh”.
I opened a browser on a different device, pointed it to my IPFire’s webUI and to my horror I was met with a “PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR”.
Now, here’s the funky part: Some features seem to work. I can still log in at the box itself. It will do port forwarding, it will do DHCP, it will do its intrusion detection/prevention stuff. It will not display the WebUI, VPN stopped working and it will not resolve DNS stuff. Now, thankfully I have a separate device for DNS, so my network is not down, but I feel like it’s going to die any day now.
I tried to sort of force the update again buy manually telling it that it was back on Core 156, and then trying to run pakfire from the terminal, and that’s how I discovered that it wasn’t resolving things. It could not resolve any of the update servers. I tried researching the hostnames and IPs of the servers as much as I could and added them manually so it could resolve, and some of them actually worked and downloaded some stuff, but something always fails.
Any idea on how I could “Repair” my firewall? Should I just bite the bullet and re-do it? I tried restoring a backup config from a few days back, but it keeps failing with some “access denied” errors (while running as root ??) so I dunno. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Indeed, this looks as you are suffering from the same file permissions error (which we suspect is actually tar bug, fixed in this commit, so it cannot happen in future releases again). Thanks to this change, Core Update 158 now fixes any faulty permissions for good measure - installations already upgraded remain unchanged.
If the thread linked by @ewald applies to you as well, please confirm so. To avoid duplicates, I will then close this thread, and ask for posting further questions in the original one.
Thank you for this. I am almost certain this is the same issue, but I will not know for sure until I can have some downtime tonight to check and reboot if necessary. I’ll be sure to update this thread if it is indeed the same bug.
I restored my DHCP settings, then I restored my firewall rules. Turned on intrusion prevention and geo blocking. Everything good up to that point.
I start going around and making sure that all my servers and devices can talk to each other. Everything is just honky-dory, and I started thinking “Well, you know? That wasn’t so bad!” … and that, ladies and gentlemen, is where I went wrong.
I proceeded to re-do my VPN. Generated Certs, created a connection for my laptop thinking I may continue this remotely. So, I hop on my hotspot to test it… no dice. I say to myself: “Dude, you’re tired, sleep-deprived and under caffeinated. You did something wrong.” So I start over. Nothing.
So I figured, I don’t really need the VPN this minute. I’ll just get the web proxy back online, and call it a night. Except when I turn it on, DHCP breaks (!!) .
Hey. Thanks for all that, but I’ve already wiped and started over.
To answer your questions though:
I do have a separate DNS appliance. The funny thing is that IPFire did assign my DNS server as part of the DHCP lease to all the clients. On the clients themselves, DNS would break intermitently, but curiously enough, the DNS request wasn’t even making it to the DNS server. Every time it worked, I could see it in the DNS server logs, weather it was blocked or not. But when the client failed to resolve something, it wouldn’t even show in the logs. Not IPFire’s, not the DNS.
I did try to set a whole bunch of different DNS servers as a test. And DNS was green and working.
The problem was that IPFire itself wouldn’t be able to resolve anything, until I manually changed the resolv.conf file to point away from itself, THEN I could resolve and update stuff. But even after updating stuff was still wonky (and yes, that is a technical term) so that’s why I decided to reinstall.