FriendlyARM NanoPi R4S

Hi @arne_f.

I have tried the last one that you have passed and it works correctly for me, like the previous one.

Greetings.

1 Like

I just realized that these router devices will always need uart to complete the initial setup which not every user will have.

Can there be a way to have dhcp on one port and static ip on another?

And set default login.

1 Like

Thanks alot for your work.
Have R4S 4Gb with pci Realtek 8111H

1 Like

Hello, i can try make initial setup at my SBC, then make image from sdcard and sent to you. And you can try flash image to your sdcard and see what happens.
:grinning:

I can do the same but that is not an official image.

Thanks for the offer though.

Bad Idea because both systems use the same hostkeys for encryption if you simply clone a preinstalled system.

2 Likes

here is some reference Scripted installation with user-data
but i din’t find where this script and where need it be put

This user-data is part of the aws configuration.

All,

Be careful when buying boards from FriendlyArm / FriendlyElec. If there are problems with the board it will not be fixed. And you will have wasted your money.

My R4S arrived and only booted a few times. I looked over the board expecting to find a solder blob or silver whisker. I did find an IC not properly seated (I can supply a picture).

I informed FriendlyArm / FriendlyElec of the problem within 24 hours and then I shipped the R4S back for replacement or repair. After 4½ months of waiting they decided the IC was my fault and that I damaged the board. No refund, and no replacement.

In my opinion we should not be recommending the FriendlyArm / FriendlyElec boards.

1 Like

Sad news.

I will write to FriendlyArm contact person and request them to look into this matter as from my experience I have received most of the FriendlyArm devices and I have never faced any hardware issue so far.

I hope they can help you in this situation.

2 Likes

Just curious if you had heard anything from the FriendlyArm contact person?

I am guessing not…

I asked FriendlyArm for the broken R4S to be returned with the hope I can remove and re-solder the IC. But nothing has been returned.

This is not a good company!

1 Like

Sadly no reply yet.

I have written another email today.

1 Like

Recieved a response today

The new R4S is available in two versions, one with a built-in mac chip and one without, 
so if your firmware needs to read the mac chip to properly initialize the network, it may not work.
1 Like

IPFire works without the mac address eeprom. Even if it present it should ignored.

1 Like

Good morning to all.

With version 170, the boot problem in which “strange” things had to be done with the “dd”? command has been solved.

In other words, if with this version you only have to flash the sd with the image and that’s it.

In the Nanopi R4S, logically.

Greetings and thanks.

Hi Roberto,

I can’t get it running. I flash the SD card with https://nightly.ipfire.org/next/latest/aarch64/ipfire-2.27-core170-aarch64.img.xz connected my serial to usb cable to the UART pins of the NanoPi R4S and I connect my pc to the serial port with picocom (tried baud rate 1500000 and 115200). I turn it on and the red power LED glows. Other LEDs are off.
I get no output on my serial console.

Am i doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Hi @marc

I got it working once by doing this @arne_f posted:

Ups. the board has stolen the target device from my dd commandline…

i use sdc in this example… So the partition to mount is /dev/sdc3 and the target is /dev/sdc

mount /dev/sdc3 /mnt
cd /mnt/usr/share/u-boot/nanopi-r4s
dd if=u-boot-rockchip.bin of=/dev/sdc bs=1k seek=32
sync
umount /mnt
sync

it may also mmcblk0 in this case the partition is /dev/mmcblk0p3 and the target /dev/mmcblk0

edit: add sync and umount

I was asking this, since it is certainly complicated to do it and since it appeared in the Wiki as green…

It was no longer necessary to do anything other than flash the MicroSD. It seems not.

Regards.

I misunderstood the post. Without the adjustment, version 170 will not run either.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with the internet speed? I have a 1 gigabit connection to the internet. When I run a speedtest with the CLI on the IPFire system, I only get 30% of the speed. Intrusion Prevention System and web proxy are disabled.
Is the NanoPi R4S to weak? CPU and Ram are not busy while my tests. Maybe the right drivers aren’t installed yet? Maybe I can help to get a better support for this hardware.
This benchmark shows that you can reach the speed with the NanoPi R4S Benchmarking the NanoPi R4S | Stupid Projects

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Yes, the results of the speedtest cli download “measurements” may differ from each other

obraz

obraz

obraz