Forward proxy to NordVPN proxy

Due to lazyiness I have not yet set up a NordVPN VPN connection on IPFire, but for the next best thing, I went for the IPFire proxy server to forward everything to NordVPN proxies.
And I wanted to share here how I did this, if someone else would ever want to do this… And of course I’m open for improvements:

• Make sure you have IPfire proxy configured and enabled

• Create a file /var/ipfire/proxy/advanced/acls/include.acl to configure squid to forward everything to NordVPN, except for internal networks:

cache_peer be145.nordvpn.com parent 80 3130 default no-query login=<nordvpn_account>:<nordvpn_password>
    always_direct allow IPFire_ips IPFire_networks
    never_direct  allow all

where <nordvpn_account>:<nordvpn_password> needs to be changed by your own NordVPN credentials. You can leave the server as is for the moment.

• Create an hourly cronjob to check for the ‘best’ server to use according to NordVPN and update IPFire proxy with it: Create the file /etc/fcron.daily/squid-nordvpn-updater:

#!/bin/bash
    # Retrieve best server according to nordvpn
    best_server=$(curl -s https://nordvpn.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=servers_recommendations |  python -c 'import json,sys;obj=json.load(sys.stdin);print obj[0]["hostname"]')
    # If result contains a nordvpn server (rudimentary check), put it in squid config
    echo $best_server | grep "nordvpn.com" && sed -i "s/[a-z0-9]\+\.nordvpn\.com/$best_server/g" /var/ipfire/proxy/advanced/acls/include.acl 
    # and reconfigure squid
    squid -k reconfigure

and make the file executable with chmod ug+x /etc/fcron.daily/squid-nordvpn-updater

• Now run the script for a first time manually to activate forwarding to NordVPN. The nordvpn server in the acl-file will be updated to a server best for you at that moment and squid will be reloaded.

I hope this helps someone. And please comment on/suggest improvements as you see fit.

Hi,

just for the reference: There was a lengthy discussion about routing traffic through VPN providers at “Feature Request: Easy Way to Add VPN Service”. As far as I am concerned, this is dangerous for various reasons and should not be done.

Apart from that: Hello, and welcome to the IPFire community. :slight_smile:

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller