Does Ipfire work with Fujitsu Esprimo Q920?

Dear all,
I would like to run Ipfire on a Fujitsu Esprimo Q920 (Intel Core i5, 200 GB SSD). The Q920 only has one LAN Port, so I would like to use a USB to LAN Adapter for the second lan port.

Is there anybody who can give me a hint if this should work?

Thanks in advance,
best,
Christian :slight_smile:

Hey Christian,

yes it will run. But long-term you should consider to change the hardware for something else.

A USB adapter has a lot more overhead and will add latency to your network. Depending on where you are going to deploy this, the i5 might be oversized and burn through a lot of energy.

Thanks a lot for your quick reply, Michael! I did not buy the Q920 yet, so I am flexible in purchasing something else. What IP-Fire Hardware would you recommend for the following scenario?

Thank you!

Any reason the DMZ is not behind the firewall?

Depending on bandwidth I would recommend the IPFire Mini Appliance.

Disclaimer: I sell those :slight_smile: and I like them :slight_smile:

The DMZ is behind the Cisco Firewall, LAN is behind the IpFire. I know IpFire also supports DMZ with a third NIC, but if an intruder hacks one machine he shouldn´t have access to everything, DMZ and LAN. Or am I thinking in a wrong way?

Can you provide me a link to your Mini Appliance?

In theory yes. You are just making things like QoS in IPFire unusable because IPFire won’t see all data that is going out to the Internet any more. I have no idea how good Cisco’s QoS is.

Just send an email to sales@lightningwirelabs.com for more details :slight_smile:

-Michael

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like