DNS & DHCP, trouble

@g70p
I usually do not answer such confused posts.
You are a bot I knew that, take less AI ChatGPT pills!

@pslpsl
Why I’m asking this, because I think there is a missing pointer, what points to the localdomain “home”.

BR
Trash

1 Like

You can see what is going inside IPFire! IPFire is a open source project, so each competent user can read the sources and imagine the work flow.
I don’t think, AIs can be called competent users!

Regards,
Bernhard

@g70p I am old. If I could tech to my younger self what is the most useful skill to learn, I would say it would be learning to communicate effectively. Especially in written form. If you write clearly, you improve also the way you think.

I tried to read your wall of text but I cannot muster the will to go through with it. So I asked chatGPT to try to summarize your post for me. This is what it came out from the model. Would you be so kind to tell me if it is a fair representation of what you wanted to communicate?

Prompt: I will provide a post from the IPFire community which is very hard to read for me (I am not the author). Could you tell me what the OP is saying in few words?

Model: The post is quite lengthy and seems to be a blend of several different topics related to network management, security, and issues the poster is experiencing with the IPFire firewall software. To summarize, the author is discussing several challenges and observations:

1. Updating dhcp.hosts file: The poster had an issue where the dhcp.hosts file in IPFire’s Unbound DNS server was not being updated when they changed the name of their computer. Despite this, they could still access the Internet.
  1. Gateway changes: The poster noticed frequent changes in gateway names between their modem/router and the IPFire firewall. They also experienced issues with their gateway configurations when using IPFire’s Wireless Internet Observatory (WIO) feature.
  1. Potential Security Concerns: The author suspected a gateway virus or a Man-In-The-Middle (MITM) attack when multiple active gateways persisted even with a disconnected status. Furthermore, Suricata (a network threat detection engine) flagged a network Trojan malware.
  1. ISP and Network Upgrades: They switched from an older Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection to a newer fiber optic technology, which they mention does not emit radio frequency debris. However, this change came with a new router that was difficult to configure.
  1. Unbound issues after ISP change: After the network upgrade, they again faced issues with Unbound, particularly regarding DHCP and zone updates.
  1. Potential Trojan activity and security settings: The author suspects a Trojan virus might be altering the unbound.config file settings, including enabling remote control and changing the threadshold for DNS poisoning.
  1. Logging and update issues: The author mentions difficulties with IP address blocklist updates and monitoring of outgoing forward connections (RED1).
  1. Throwdice entropy checker: They also noticed issues with IPFire’s throwdice entropy checker (a tool for generating random numbers for encryption), which they think may be related to static electricity.
  1. Proposed solution: As a possible solution, the author is planning to change the domain name in IPFire to their old one and observe the effects.

The poster concludes by appreciating the transparency of open-source solutions like IPFire, which allows users to see and understand what’s happening compared to closed systems. They mention the difficulties in changing certain configurations when using ISP-provided hardware.

Please note, this summary might not fully capture all the technical nuances in the post due to its complexity and the number of different topics discussed.

2 Likes

I disagree, more GPT pils would be useful. For example, instead of posting directly in the forum, you open a chat with GPT3.5 in your own language. You write a prompt saying: This is a post directed to the IPFire community, please clean it up. Give me 3 alternative versions.

Then, you read the 3 versions, chose one of the three and eventually ask for some modification. When you are satisfied, you give the following prompt: Please translate it in English.

I guarantee you, unless you are a very skilled writer, what comes up from this is 100X better than the original post, especially if the author does not have a mastery of the English language.

By my own experience, it takes just a couple of minutes longer, if even that, compared to typing directly to the forum.

More chatGPT, not less.

EDIT: About calling disparagingly someone “you are just a bot”, there is something I want to say.

Despite the rapid advancement in Deep Learning using neural networks, we’re still quite a distance from achieving a general-purpose AI. Surprisingly, a few hundred neurons in a worm can perform complex tasks that even a Language Model with billions of parameters can’t match.

Yet, these models significantly outperform the majority of humans in their designated tasks, which I find to be rather depressing. How? These models possess an error correction function that enables learning.

Humans also have a similar error correction function that allows us to learn – we master walking through the process of crawling, falling, and standing up. However, as we age, our ego often prevents us from accepting constructive criticism and we miss out on learning opportunities. Therefore, in some respects, we might collectively be less adaptive than Bots.

1 Like

Thks, I’ll donate later! the text was traslated by Bart and google translator, detective. well done! you’re a native english writer. :+1: :clap:

Do you have a HWRNG installed on your system?

If yes then that will be triggering the running of the udev 90-hwrng.rules file but the rng-tools addon also needs to be installed otherwise the 90-hwrng.rules commands will not find the rngd initscript.

3 Likes

File /etc/unbound/hosts.conf (at my ipfire.home router) has line

local-zone: home transparent

RPI router “rpifire.localdomain” doesn’t have any line with local-zone:

I do not think that I have HWRNG but I am not sure. Is there an easy way to test it?

The question about HWRNG was for @g70p as he showed the message about failing to execute rngd and rngd udev-event

2 Likes