Dhcp: Could not run unbound-control local_data

Both are set to ipfire

Notes:
/etc/hosts does not contain ipfire, only localhost
/etc/hostname: no such file or directory

if I type hostname, I get
ipfire.lan

I type ssh root@ipfire since I’m not root at my system, my username is pavlos
If I would type ssh ipfire, it would try to connect to pavlos@ipfire (no such user)
hence I need to explicitly type root@ipfire

I saw the same. That is why I looked for the setup screens

FYI - I can ping ipfire from any of my computers and it works a-ok. And I have no separate hostname for ipfire.

I am not saying this will cure the above issue (first post). It was just a curious observation on my side.

Agreed - if there is no ssh config file.

see:

This is my ssh config file (on my personal computer):

Host ipfire
	HostName=192.168.1.1
	User=root
	Port=222

update: I will consider them solved.

First issue: the error line is generated b/c my little reset script issues:

/etc/init.d/dhcp stop
/etc/init.d/dhcp start
/etc/init.d/unbound restart

A sleep 2 before the last line gives time to dhcp to start and then unbound to restart, I no longer see these errors in /var/log/messages

Second issue:

local-data: "1.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa 60 IN PTR ipfire.lan"

this line appears b/c 9 months ago I plugged in a usb wifi and configured a blue network. I no longer use the blue network but I found that /var/ipfire/ethernet/settings still contained references for the blue network which is long gone.

2 Likes

Hi,

well, this should not happen, but usually, such leftovers do not cause as much trouble as you experienced. Glad you found this one… :slight_smile:

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

Peter, I kept the old /var/ipfire/ethernet/settings file

BLUE_DEV=blue0
BLUE_MACADDR=zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
BLUE_DESCRIPTION='"usb: Linksys WUSB600N v1 Dual-Band Wireless-N Network Adapter [Ralink RT2870]"'
BLUE_DRIVER=rt2800usb
BLUE_ADDRESS=192.168.1.1
BLUE_NETMASK=255.255.255.0
BLUE_NETADDRESS=192.168.1.0
BLUE_BROADCAST=192.168.1.255

Since I got rid of the blue network 9 months ago, those lines should have been removed from /var/ipfire/ethernet/settings The puzzle was that /etc/unbound/hosts.conf had a reference to 192.* and that led me to a wild chase to find out why. Glad I found it so I can sleep at night :slight_smile:

Can you ssh root@ipfire?

Or ping ipfire now?

yes, as I wrote before I had to add ipfire in my static hosts.

to me that is just odd…

I’ve never had to add ipfire as a static host. Do you need to add all of your devices as static hosts? I see only two in an above post.

Jon, I removed ipfire as one of my static hosts. I can still ping ipfire from a client so you’re correct, I do not need to define ipfire as a static host. But if I remove pve5 from the static hosts list, I cannot ping pve5 I only define in static hosts those hosts that I would like to ping by name.

1 Like