Custom script in networking/red.up persistent?

Hi all,

I wrote a custom script to update my DynDNS solution. I want it to run when the PPP-Connection for red connects. I found the directory /etc/init.d/networking/red.up which seems to be used from /etc/ppp/if-up and added the script there with priority 30 (as the system provided ddns also has 30).

Will my custom script survive any minor or major updates of ipfire? Is there a better place for the script to be run when red comes up?

Thanks, Steffen

Hi,

I wrote a custom script to update my DynDNS solution.

IPFire supports a bunch of dynamic DNS providers. Did you have a look at

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

Hi Peter,

I did and I used the built in providers before. But I want to update a dns system directly through an API (curl with custom URL and parameters) and for that I did not find a supported solution out of the box. And since I do not know enough python to expand the built in solution I decided to hack my own bash script together.

BR, Steffen

Hi,

I did and I used the built in providers before. But I want to update a dns system directly through an API (curl with custom URL and parameters) and for that I did not find a supported solution out of the box. And since I do not know enough python to expand the built in solution I decided to hack my own bash script together.

to be honest, I do not think this is such a good idea. Dynamic DNS is more than just
running a script on startup - what do you do if you get a new public IP address? What
if you cannot reach the API or if you reached it, but the new IP address does not show
up in the DNS?

By the way: Did you have a look at nsupdate?

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

1 Like