Creating VM on aarch64 failed with "kvm_init_vcpu: kvm_arch_init_vcpu failed (0): Invalid argument"

Hi There,

I am testing IPFire 2.27 core164 on nanopi-r4s, my first VM creation failed with “kvm_init_vcpu: kvm_arch_init_vcpu failed (0): Invalid argument”.

I did a bit of digging and I think this might be a bug in qemu but not sure, you can reproduce it with the following command, according to the reference URLs below, the command shouldn’t error out. And I tried on raspberrypi4 with Raspbian, the command indeed won’t error out.

qemu-system-aarch64 -display none -accel kvm -M virt -cpu host --trace \*kvm_vcpu\*

kvm_vcpu_ioctl cpu_index 0, type 0x4020aeae, arg 0x7f9f28a1d8 qemu-system-aarch64: kvm_init_vcpu: kvm_arch_init_vcpu failed (0): Invalid argument

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1171501

1 Like

Hi,

first, welcome to the IPFire community. :slight_smile:

Second, thanks for your detailed post, and the link to Red Hat’s bugtracker, which is very helpful.

It seems as we (just) need to pick up this fix. Unfortunately, the merge window for Core Update 165 is already closed, so this will make it into C166 at the earliest.

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

1 Like