Core 167 on ARM 32

/boot was 95% full, but without an initramfs for kernel 5.15,32, following the upgrade. Is 128 MB now too small for /boot partition ?

Hi,

in general, I don’t think so, since my /boot partition is approximately 128 MBytes of size as well:

[root@maverick ~]# df -h /boot
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1       110M   83M   19M  82% /boot

But that’s an x86_64-based system, and I don’t know by heart how things look like on ARM installations these days. However, unless an update aborts due to lack of space, everything is still fine even if /boot might look a little packed. :slight_smile:

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

It appears that I had “jumped the gun”. I was away for a couple of weeks and missed core 166 altogether. On return, the system that was set for “testing” branch indicated an update to core 167 was available and I proceeded.

Nevertheless, a fresh install of core 166 stable, followed by upgrade to the announced core 167 testing +0000-24c8e6a6, gives the same result of /boot 95% full and no initramfs for kernel 5.15.32. A reboot is indicated, but reboots to kernel 5.15.23 - so not a valid test of the kernel upgrade.

Core 167 stable would need to result in /boot not much more than 55% used, or later upgrades would likely fail.

Hi,

that was a glitch in an earlier stage of Core Update 167 (testing), and has been fixed meanwhile.

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

Any fix was very temporary. I have not tried all of the many testing builds, but at a later build, master/66ff5ffe, although superceded kernels were removed, so that /boot did not fill and the latest kernel 5.15.32 was booting, the boot hung, because there was no initramfs.

I submitted bug report 12851 – Core 167 (testing) boot fails on arm7hl, which has not been closed.

Hi,

first of all, please refer to this post for a workaround.

Second, indeed, things did not go in an optimal fashion here. With two core developers being unavailable during QA of Core Update 167, and a mixture of issues sounding to be related, the severity of this one completely fell through the cracks. :frowning:

Apologies for the inconveniences, and best regards,
Peter Müller