Core 153 Testing

Hi Robert,

since I was running Core Update 153 (testing) as well, these were the steps I needed to go through to change to stable Core Update 153 and ensure the correct Suricata release to be shipped:

1. In “IPFire => Pakfire”, change “Repository” to “Stable”. Pakfire will automatically refresh it’s package/mirror/… lists, which might take a few seconds.

2. Perform a SSH login onto your IPFire machine.

3. Edit the file at /opt/pakfire/db/core/mine and put in 152.

4. In the Pakfire GUI, hit the “Refresh List” button. The GUI should suggest an update to Core Update 153 afterwards.

5. Install the update and perform a reboot.

6. suricata -V should now display version 5.0.5, while the footer of IPFire’s GUI should display IPFire 2.25 (x86_64) - Core Update 153 (no master, next or else).

Sorry for this rather lengthy procedure - at least it is only required on machines where you have to switch from testing to stable again, and want to ensure the stable release is actually installed.

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

2 Likes

Hi @pmueller,

Thanks for taking the time to explian the steps to move between Stable & Testing core versions.

FYI… I bit the bullet and did a restore from a 152 ISO backup and then upgraded to 153 Stable via the Pakfire panel. All working nicely… once again.

Doesn’t hurt to test our recovery procedures occasionally and this was one of those times.

I have filed away the steps you just shared for future reference.

So all good!

A safe & enjoyable xmas to you and loved ones.

Robert

Hey Peter!

I thought as part of the Stable, Testing, Unstable code was a step to do the above specifically for the TestingStable step. Is this a new bug or was /opt/pakfire/db/core/mine step always needed.

I just encountered a problem with the firewall network/hostgroups.

I had to add multiple hosts to groups. First host added with no problems, but whenever I wanted to add more than one, it failed with the message: host already exists in that group.

I had to reload the page after every single host to finally add all hosts.

I installed core update 153 stable and all worked A-OK for me (I wasn’t sure if you were on testing or stable). I added various Hosts and then added them to Groups. No issues. Not sure if I followed exactly the steps to fail.

Same here… I had to the re add several hosts and groups after upgrading to 153 stable. No issues found.

Hm OK thx for testing it. Maybe it’s browser related.

maybe try a different browser? Or clearing out the cache?