Core 139 - Filesystem full

I am using x86_64

I’ll fire up an x86_64 installation and get back

I didn’t see anything worthy of deletion in /usr/lib.

I deleted ALL of my pakfire addons and I got down to 78% full

[root@ipfire locale]# df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs        1.9G  4.0K  1.9G   1% /dev
tmpfs           1.9G   12K  1.9G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs           1.9G  448K  1.9G   1% /run
/dev/sda3       2.0G  1.4G  411M  78% /          <<<<<
/dev/sda1        59M   29M   26M  53% /boot
/dev/sda4        56G  4.3G   49G   9% /var
/var/lock       8.0M   12K  8.0M   1% /var/lock

Seems a bit extreme, eh?

It transpires that I installed my x86_64 from a dot.IMG rather than dot.ISO, so it also puts /var on the same / partition. FWIW, that still uses only 1600 M, and /var contributes only 139 M to that - so not too different from ARM.

/lib is still only 557 M. That is likely where your problem lies.

I can’t readily copy & paste the output because the machine runs on a different LAN

The only significant addons I have are CUPS and Samba, but those are only there as fallbacks and not used. In any case, their data tends to go into /var.

Your most reliable option now could be to download your backup files to another PC then reinstall.

I agree! I’ll put this on this weekend’s to-do list! Thanks for your hints and help!

Thank you Michael @ms!! You are THE best!

https://lists.ipfire.org/pipermail/development/2020-January/006844.html

Is there a way for me to run this? Please know I know very little about git.

I grabbed the filesystem-cleanupsh out of the above message at https://lists.ipfire.org/pipermail/development/2020-January/006844.html and gave it a try (after a few tests). It deleted almost 60M with of files.

[root@ipfire filesystem-cleanup]# df -h
tmpfs           1.9G   12K  1.9G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs           1.9G  448K  1.9G   1% /run
/dev/sda3       2.0G  1.4G  468M  75% /				<<<<
/dev/sda1        59M   29M   26M  53% /boot
/dev/sda4        56G  4.3G   49G   9% /var

If you reinstall the addons hat you deleted then you might still be approaching the 2 G size of /.

My reading of the installer code for core 139 is that it no longer creates a separate /var. Almost all disk space is allocated to / and that would avoid the problem that you are facing.

Agreed, I found the same:

(see New partition layout near bottom of page)

I don’t wanna rebuild… I don’t wanna rebuild… I don’t wanna rebuild… waaaah! :angry:

[composure]

Its fairly easy to rebuild but I’ve added a few custom addons that I need to find the notes for… time to find my notes!

Yeah, I see that. At some point, we probably cannot avoid this, but we have taken on the problem right now and I have written that script together with Arne last week. There are some other things we can do to keep your box going for some time and it might be best to re-install at some point when you change hardware or so.

It wasn’t too bad! The IPFire backup/restore made the rebuild very easy! Now I have LOTS of space available:

[root@ipfire ~]# df -h
tmpfs           1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           1.9G  480K  1.9G   1% /run
/dev/sda4        58G  1.5G   53G   3% /				<<<<
/dev/sda1       110M   31M   71M  31% /boot
/dev/sda2        32M  242K   32M   1% /boot/efi

I still have some custom items to restore like pmacct and a few scripts I added for OpenVPN.

Things restored that I didn’t expect:

• Public key based authentication (SSL key for console, sftp, scp, etc.)
  • Fireinfo profile ID

Things that didn’t start (not Enabled):

• Intrusion Prevention System (IPS)
    • Ruleset Settings - had to click Save.
    • Settings - had to click Save.
  • OpenVPN
    • was running on system before rebuild
    • I need to look into it…

The above is an FYI for others. Not a complaint in any way shape or form!

I updated the Intel J1900 (Qotom Q1900G4) BIOS firmware but it did not make any difference is the listed Processor Vulnerability Mitigations. (yes, I was hoping!) So I’m not sure if it will help anything. I was unable to locate a change log for the BIOS upgrade.

1 Like

Jon I’m a newbie with the same problem. Can you explain what you did to run the script?

Hi Julian - Welcome the the IPFire Community!

I loading up the git file in an editor, then I deleted everything ABOVE the line +#!/bin/bash.

and every thing from #!/bin/bash down I deleted all of the + at the beginning of each line. Then I saved the file and transferred it to IPFire.

Keep in mind this git is part of the current build. It is located at /usr/local/bin/filesystem-cleanup. And there is a “dry run” available that will not change or delete files.

[root@ipfire ~]# filesystem-cleanup --dry-run

Searching in /usr/lib/sse2...
find: ‘/usr/lib/sse2’: No such file or directory
Searching in /usr/lib...
Searching in /lib...

[root@ipfire ~]#

Hope that helps!

Thank you very much Jon for your quick reply.

@jpaulina68

This does not quite compute. If you are a newbie then your installation should not have accumulated dross in /usr/lib. Additionally, your installation should have assigned larger starting partitions.

What core did you initially install and what CPU architecture ?

Rodney interesting point of view and judgement.
A former colleague of my installed the firewall for me and use to maintain it.
Now a days I have to do it myself.
If I have ask to much in this group sorry for that!

The only long-term solution is to have larger partitions and the practical approach is to save backups to a USB stick then re-install, using the latest core.

If you are not confident of the installation process then you could practice on another PC

2 Likes

I think I will install a virtuaal machine to pratice

You would need two NIC in the physical machine for that to proceed. A USB-Ethernet dongle suffices as one NIC.

Getting a VM IPFire actually working is more complicated.

2 Likes

I just notice that .