Can ipfire act as openvpn server and client at the same time?

Hallo,
I have an Ipfire that acts as openvpn server for roadwarriors clients towards a local lan.
Is it possible to configure the same Ipfire machine to act AT the same time also as Net to Net client towards a remote network?

I’m trying to upload the client package but I have an error:
“The OpenVPN Port is already in use”
even if:
the local roadwarrior configuration is on port 1194
the new connection uses remote:1198

Am I missing something?
Thanks!!

Hi,

welcome to the IPFire community. :slight_smile:

Not running such a configuration myself, I don’t seen why OpenVPN should not work with both roadwarrior and net-to-net connections at the same time (IPsec certainly does).

You might have to set up the net-to-net connection manually, though. Please refer to this wiki page for further information on how to do so, and report back if the error persists.

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

Hi Peter,
Thank you for your reply.
I wasn’t able to fix the problem, to avoid wasting too much time I decided to set up an IPsec tunnel.

My complicated relationships with IPsec has caused some issues with phase 2 but I’m confident to sort it out :smiley:

Best regards
Paolo

Hi all,
just for the record. It is possible to have multiple OpenVPN instances running at the same time. Every N2N connection needs their own port and neither of the N2N instances should have the same port than the server (Roadwarrior) instance otherwise they won´t work.

Best,

Erik

3 Likes