Cable router in front of ipfire: Bridge or Router mode

If the speed test measures the length of all application packets ( without the infrastructure packets: DOCSIS, PPP connection handling, … ) this is ok. It is the load the attached network uses.
And yes, the packets for management of connectivity ( DNS, ARP, NTP, … ) are included.

The avm test is not provided by the ISP. But the router manufacturer. 400 Mbit would indicate that the value is 5 times higher than the wget value. Is it possible, that more throughput is possible, because the browser uses more connections which results in higher bandwhich even with enabled IDS?

I checked with top the cpu usage during download. It goes to roughly 130 %. So one core is saturated, but the others still have lots of idle time. Maybe the problem is that ipfire is not utilizing all the cores?

This is, when there is no way to improve the performance, a disappointing result. Just for desktop usage this would not be tragic, because normally you also use your laptop also in external wifi networks. But my intention was to set up a solid ipfire alliance when I set up a webserver, openvpn server, mailserver and maybe a tor relay.
I payed 160 € couple of time ago for the apu before I got the gigabit connection. Nevertheless maybe you can give recommendations for suitable hardware?

The following aspects would be important

• Passive cooling
  • At least 4 RJ45 ports
  • Ram up to 64 Gb
  • Maybe 2,5 Gb/s - 10 Gb/s (but I think this will get to exapnsive)
  • Maybe 15 TDW

I found that jetwaycomputer, hunsn and Kettop devices appear to look robust with solid passive cooling.

Would like to hear opinion on this specific appliance:

This appliance has quite a decent CPU in comparison to other devices.
Still, I would like to know if there is the danger of hidden backdoors in the firmware or hardware (because the company is not so well known).
Like in this scenario:

Dear all, I am coming back to this topic, because I did some research.
I ended up with a computer that is similar to the protectli firewall appliances. This is of an advantage, because protectli offers coreboot images as an alternative to the stock bios. Similarly to pc-engines but which enough processing power to route 1 GB/s with active filtering.

I would also like to share the fact with you, that I found one additional advantage of bridge-mode vs router mode. After measuring for more than one week in each mode, it became clear, that the bridge mode consumes about 9 % less power. This value is consistent. Wifi was disabled in booth measurement runs.

2 Likes