Avahi error after upgrade to Core 168

Hi guys.

I have this error:

In LOGs appears:

Jun 16 10:13:59 bs avahi-daemon[7551]: Found user 'avahi' (UID 999) and group 'avahi' (GID 999).
Jun 16 10:13:59 bs avahi-daemon[7551]: Successfully dropped root privileges.
Jun 16 10:13:59 bs avahi-daemon[7551]: avahi-daemon 0.8 starting up.
Jun 16 10:13:59 bs avahi-daemon[7551]: WARNING: No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider installing nss-mdns!
Jun 16 10:13:59 bs avahi-daemon[7551]: dbus_bus_request_name(): Connection ":1.10" is not allowed to own the service "org.freedesktop.Avahi" due to security policies in the configuration file
Jun 16 10:13:59 bs avahi-daemon[7551]: WARNING: Failed to contact D-Bus daemon.
Jun 16 10:13:59 bs avahi-daemon[7551]: avahi-daemon 0.8 exiting.

Everything seems to work fine for me. Does it have any importance?

Greetings.

Do you have that add-on just because of samba? Mine is working here, but I did a clean install.

I think that add-on is needed for other systems to discover the service samba / the network share.
For me any computer can see my shares and I don’t need to know the IP/Host name + share name and can directly mount the shares.

You should reinstall samba + all dependencies. Update to Core 168 and Samba not working

Hi @xperimental and thanks for your reply.

I already did the reinstallation as Samba stopped working after upgrading to Core 168.

I’ll try to install only the “avahi” addon to see what happens.

In the end, the solution, again, has been to reinstall everything again. Remove Samba and all dependencies.

Yep. Honestly recently I’m not impressed with the update/upgrade procedure of ipfire. I run into more and more problems every time and I’m not willing to update any running machines at the moment at all.

Also restoring backups causes problems.

Unfortunately the Testing releases get feedback from the same small group of people each time and the majority, or all of them, do not have Samba installed.

It is hard to know that there is a problem that needs to be fixed when there is no feedback. It would help if some users of Samba could evaluate the Testing release when Samba is upgraded, otherwise we only get the information that there is a problem once the Stable release is issued.

Samba users could set up a Virtualbox vm of IPFire with the setup configuration they normally use and that could be then be used for testing so that their production machine does not need to be affected.

2 Likes

If you are having problems with restoring then please raise a separate topic on the forum so it can be evaluated to understand what is happening and a bug raised if appropriate.

OT: mostly I use the hammer method: download config files that take too long to be restore via the webui, reinstall ipfire and restore that config files + do a little config via the webui for things that have not been saved before.

1 Like