After update ipfire to 157, no boot

These are just files being extracted…

2 Likes

Till now I dont see something about missing , some kernel things but looks ok no error or missing.

But maybe I am looking on the wrong and to fast… :see_no_evil:

In the grub folder on the HDD, i see files in i386pc and x86_64efi

So i can’t onderstand what it didn’t see

The Firewall is back in action, but web proxy don’t work , the add-on are installed and back-up is restored and did a reboot.

For now my wife is happy because we have safe internet, tomorrow I will keep going and check what is going wrong.

Thanks again @ms Michael!!

1 Like

Same problem with my apu. Update went fine, reboot → grub, missing kernel. Had to restore an older backup v 148. After the update process v157 did boot without issues.

Hi Everyone, today i start trying some small things with the webproxy, and I noticed it works with squidclam on, as soon I turn url filter it stopt.

I just dont know if it’s from v157 or 156 as i already have problem with after rebooting no webproxy:
https://community.ipfire.org/t/after-reboot-some-time-proxy-server-not-starting/5426/8

Same issue here - It did not boot after upgrade from v156 to v157 and stopped in Grub.
Hardware: IPFire Mini Appliance
Reinstalling from USB Stick was not as straight forward as before. Has taken several hours of try and error. Eventually I brought it up & was able to restore a recent configuration backup.

Same here. Same problem on an APU1 machine from a friend. He has a second hard drive as a backup so for now I did not yet fix the problem with a fresh reinstall but I will need to do it soon. I am holding up the update for my APU2 router for now.

Hi all,

since I got a bit lost here: Is anybody experiencing this problem on a different hardware than the IPFire Mini Appliance or the APU family? While upgrading to Core Update 157, I did not experience trouble on my firewalls, so we at least did not seem to break every system out there. :wink:

Also, could you please share the contents of /var/log/pakfire (as @ms asked already) and the output of df -h here?

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

1 Like

Hey @pmueller, my hardware is not Ipfire mini,
It’s; https://fireinfo.ipfire.org/profile/1e3cc7a973143bb7f3b4a5b82914723a9a452acd

I don’t if you mean my log file ore other person’s but mine log file is in the reply of @ms in a zip file as i was not aloud to add txt file.

I didn’t see anything good and if i saw something strange for me was it normal for the developers…

I hope I could be more helpful, let me know what I could do, I already clean install but maybe there’s still something.

I will, next week end when I fix my friend’s machine.

@pmueller reading to fast after work😅, it’s a Apu family but not a Ipfire mini.

Sorry for the fast reading and reply.

Best regards.

Ok, related question, I have two work IPFire boxes, one is local, one is remote, and both are currently running 156 but I processed the 157 update on both of them, they have to restart for the upgrade to to take effect, is there a way that I can cancel the pending install of 157? I do NOT want to restart and try to boot 157 after hearing the challenges that multiple people are having.

@neopegasus, @angrytux, @thier28, @cfusco -

Folks - you’ve been asked to supply some information to help the IPFire Developers figure out this issue.

There are two easy commands:

cat /var/log/pakfire

df -h

Please help us help you!

EDIT:
Zip files are fine.

3 Likes

You will have to reinstall IPFire and then restore your backup.

Carrying out the upgrade will have installed all the new files. Some won’t be properly active till after a reboot.

Fir info, my production IPFire system upgraded from 156 to 157 without a murmur.
All my services that were running before were running after update and reboot.

I have also done several vm updates from 156 to 157 and again no hiccups.

Some people are having issues but I suspect the majority not.

Edit:
Currently 27.03% of users are on Core Update 156
Already there are 23.83% of users on Core Update 157

2 Likes

Hi,

to share my current guess (!) publicly: We have increased the size of the /boot partition several times during the last ~ 5 years, as the Linux kernel grew bigger and bigger. Unfortunately, this requires reinstalling IPFire, since mounted partitions cannot be changed by the same operating system that is running out of them.

I could imagine the affected people to run some IPFire installations that have been active for a very long time (> 4 years), hence still having a relatively small /boot partition. However, as far as I am aware, we do not install a kernel if we can foresee running out of disk space - an upgrade should simply stop before touching anything on disk.

So, there might be a bug in this routine, causing disk space miscalculations. However, that would not really explain why Grub is affected, but is the only idea I have at hand given the patchy facts. :slight_smile:

This is why I am asking for df -h information. Let’s see if the affected systems share a small /boot partition in common.

Thanks, and best regards,
Peter Müller

3 Likes

Peter hi , this is my df -h :

[root@PegasusFirewall ~]# df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs        3.9G  4.0K  3.9G   1% /dev
tmpfs           3.9G   12K  3.9G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs           3.9G  616K  3.9G   1% /run
/dev/sda4       457G  3.7G  430G   1% /
/dev/sda1       110M   35M   67M  34% /boot
/dev/sda2        32M  254K   32M   1% /boot/efi
/var/lock       8.0M   12K  8.0M   1% /var/lock
none            3.9G  468K  3.9G   1% /var/log/vnstat
none            3.9G   53M  3.8G   2% /var/log/rrd

This is the reinstall ipfire 157 , I hope I understand you right.

and i hope it helps.

ps i just did a upgrade last weekend ( so after the problem with 157) the old system has 350g hdd the new have 500ssd

1 Like

Here is ours - it is unknown if we are affected here or not yet.

[root@ipfire pakfire]# df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs        3.9G  4.0K  3.9G   1% /dev
tmpfs           3.9G   12K  3.9G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs           3.9G  668K  3.9G   1% /run
/dev/sda4       116G   85G   26G  77% /
/dev/sda1       110M   35M   67M  34% /boot
/dev/sda2        32M  254K   32M   1% /boot/efi
/var/lock       8.0M   12K  8.0M   1% /var/lock
1 Like

Hey Jon, my log/zip file is here BTW ;
https://community.ipfire.org/t/after-update-ipfire-to-157-no-boot/5641/10?u=neopegasus

1 Like

Hi All,
It happened to me too. I have a relatively new firewall appliance that has a intel J3160 processor. Purchased the device back in January of this year so it has not been running long. At the initial install I would have put the latest version on the device, so it would have been a Jan 2021 version (not sure what release). To recover, I had to do a new install with backup recovery to get it up and running again. The profile is 052661e7f9c06c03afdb1fb849ac27cbbf7f860e, assuming it does not change from a complete rebuild. ( Which is a question, does the profile id change after a complete rebuild of the system?, just curious. ) On the other hand, my backup firewall device, which has a i3-4005U processor, updated just fine (it started at release 154), its profile id is 3dce541a03a2724dab08ca9ccfd03875fc3dc899.

I am not sure thattelling you the disk allocation after recovery will tell you anything as I have no way to determine if things changed from the pre-core 157 upgrade.

I hope this helps, P