1Gbps Internet for home use with IPS and VPN?

You must use AMD - cheaper and mostly powerfull!

I did a test - just for you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Tested my Gigabit with my test environment (Core 2 Duo T5600, 3GB RAM, all Intel NICs):
Device ↔ LAN ↔ ipfire: 950Mbps
Device ↔ LAN ↔ ipfire ↔ cable ↔ internet: 570Mbps

Even that old machine was able to handle 570Mbps with my configuration (URL filters, clamav, suricata). So I think your processor should be able to handle 100% of a Gigabit line.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-Duo-T5600-vs-Intel-Core-i3-3220

Edit: you said you used the speedtest-cli, so I just did the same with my slow test system… however I only get there ~290Mbps instead ob ~570Mbps. I wonder… and check it with my primary system (Ryzen 5 1600, 16GB RAM, 10Gbit Intel NICs) and I got only 380-580Mbps (differs with different target servers) so I think the whole thing is kind of imperfect. Whenever I start a speedtest via client/browser I get nearly 1Gbps…

Edit: with my test system I get only a little bit more than 40% of cpu usage when I test the bandwidth. Looks like a single connection may really only use a single cpu core. Therefore single core performance is still important :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

All recent AMD do AES too

From your webUI System > Hardware Vulnerabilities, IPFire defaults SMP setting to “Automatic”. You would get about half performance with Intel and full performance with AMD

One of the first things I would do to troubleshoot is Turn QOS off as we found by default that really limits our high-speed internet. With faster lines QOS isn’t needed so much, however it can have it’s place if using a mix of lots of VoIP phone as well as Client devices etc. and just needs to be configured correctly. I advise removing one of your post about this subject to save confusion and/or doubling up, either this one or Performance with Gigabit Internet

I have no affiliation with Lightning Wire Labs other than being a fan of their work. But a few years ago I too got Gb internet. I went through nearly a dozen systems and way more network cards trying to find a combo that would get full use of the bandwidth. What I found was that the commercial gear just couldn’t do better than about 800Mb/s. You can probably find my old posts talking about it. I bought one of Lightning Wire Labs Eco devices and have been extremely happy with it. I’ve been debating about buying one of their Mini’s since they don’t have the Eco’s anymore, then I’d keep the Eco for a backup…but I’ve just not gotten around to it…And the Eco still works great. I recommend you at least take a look.
https://www.lightningwirelabs.com/products/ipfire/appliances

2 Likes

This and earlier threads mentioned this mini-PC.
maxtang-FP30

It was way over-kill for my 12 Mb/s link, but with summer approaching I purchased one as a desktop PC.

maxtang-fp30_lower

The vendor did not provide photos of the inside, so I purchased with RAM & NVME SSD. The base does come off quite readily, after removing six M2 screws. It would be simple and cheaper to purchase the device bare and fit your own RAM & SSD.

It’s running openSUSE quite well, but although either Ethernet port will work I can’t get them configured in bridge mode. I will try it with IPF flash image file on USB 3.